Chapter 5 - The Hanging

Evangeline's POV:

I hurried down the halls and hoped I hadn't been missed too much. As I ran down the hallways I saw some of the ballet girls whispering together. I hurried over to the them and said,

“What happened?” Jemma looked at me and said,

“Where were you?” I sighed and brushed off the question and repeated my own. She didn't push but quickly said,

“You left before I could tell you that Joseph Bouquet is dead. He was found hung in the third cellar between set piece and a scene from Roi de Lahore. The Ghost killed him. You had better not venture down there alone. It is too frightening.” Jemma was shaking in her ballet shoes. I laughed and hurried away. What I couldn't understand was why Erik would kill him. He was a fairly harmless man. I didn't like him personally but I didn't hate him. I wondered if Erik hadn't been in a sociable mood. I was beginning to count myself lucky that Erik didn't seem to mind having me around too much. I was lucky. I arrived at practice and started to dance. But my mind wasn't with my dancing. More than once the instructor had to call on me to put myself more into my dancing. Finally, I was almost done and could return to the cellars. As I vaulted into one last move I felt my ankle weaken and I fell hard. All of the ballerinas ran over to me and with their help I stood up. I knew in a moment I had sprained my ankle. There was nothing that could be done. I was given some ice and told not to put any weight on it. I limped back to the dorms and settled down beneath the blankets. I reached for my book and realized that I had left it with Erik in the lair. I growled a foul word under my breath and sat in the my bed. I really couldn't walk that whole distance down there and back. It was much too long with a sprained ankle. While I was having my own pity party I felt a presence enter the room. I knew in a moment who it was.

“Erik, come out of the shadows. I know you are there.” Suddenly he stepped toward me. Draped in his cloak with his nice dress suit and wide-brimmed hat, he looked a lot like a ghost. I could almost feel his eyes burning into mine. I smiled as he tossed Jane Eyre onto my bed.

“Your book. It was interesting.” I beamed at him.

“You are learning how to talk with another human. Good for you.” He growled and took a seat on a nearby bed. It just happened to be Jemma's. I made the mental note not to tell her.

“Erik isn't human.” I raised my eyebrows.

“You could have fooled me.” He growled again but I ignored it. I had something else I needed to tell him about. “Erik, why did you kill Joseph Bouquet?” He folded his arms and said,

“Because Erik wanted to.” I shot the you-really-think-that-is-an-answer look. He shrugged his shoulders.

“Erik, that isn't an answer. Why did you kill him?” Erik threw up his hands.

“You really want the real answer?” I nodded. Erik drew himself to full height. “Because I was bored. I needed something to do. He was easy. I wanted blood and he was around.” I drew back as he sank onto the bed again. Erik needed to learn one or two things about right and wrong. I settled back and decided to teach him.

“Erik, I think you need to learn somethings. Number one is that you don't kill people for fun. Number two is that it is against the law.” I could have sworn Erik rolled his eyes. I couldn't see them so I couldn't be sure.

“Erik has never cared what was right and wrong.” I sighed. That was the truth.

“Well, it is about time you did. I don't like my friend to have blood on his hands. I will forgive this one episode but don't kill again. Please?” I shot him my best puppy face. He just sat there. I could see his hands were shaking. I wasn't sure what was wrong.

“Erik, what's wrong?” He managed to gasp out,

“Is Erik your friend?” I nodded. He might eccentric and dangerous. He might be the weirdest man I had ever met but he was my friend. He stood up and said,

“Erik never had any friends.” I smiled at him and held out my hand.

“Shall we shake on it?” He looked at my hand and whispered,

“Erik hasn't ever touched a woman.” I smiled and said,

“All the more reason for you to shake my hand. Its okay, Erik. I don't mind.” Erik reached carefully for my hand and just barely touched it with the tip of his fingers. They were cold and slightly damp. I reached forward just a bit and held his whole hand in mine. It was like a skeleton with skin. I held it tightly before he pulled away. I smiled and said,

“Friends.” A moment later he was gone. I looked to where he had been and saw one red rose. I hopped over and picked it up. I smiled.

“Such a romantic.” I said to myself and laid down to read.