Chapter 6 - Trouble

Eva's POV:

Erik had left some hours before now and I was still laying on my bed reading. I was very content. Suddenly the door burst open and Meg ran in. She looked exhausted. I looked up at her and smiled. She returned it and took off her ballet shoes.

“How are you doing, Eva? Is your ankle better?” I laughed.

“Sprained ankles don't heal in a matter of a few hours. They take time. I will likely be out of commission for a while.” She laughed and said,

“Did that ballerinas tell you about the performance that happened while you were gone? Oh, by the way, where did you go? You were missing ever since the ghost incident happened?” I smiled.

“I can't stand drama. I found a place to hide until it wore off and I by accident fell asleep.” That was enough of the truth that it sounded good. Meg gave me a strange look. I smiled and she repeated her former question about the performance. I shook my head. She got this informed look and sat back on her bed with a grin. I knew something must have happened that was pretty major.

“Well, Christine sang for us. Sang like an angel, so I hear. It was stunning. The funny thing was that afterward she fainted and was taken to her room. You will never guess who took her there though!” I smiled. I hadn't ever been into gossip but this sounded interesting.

“Who?” I asked, knowing that Meg wouldn't be happy until she had told me everything. The only thing that was holding her back was that she wanted me to ask her.

“Raoul, Vicomte de Changy!” She was very much excited over this turn of events. I immediately recognized the name. He was one of the wealthiest men in France. This was certainly news. I gazed intently at Meg.

“Why?” She grinned.

“I though I heard the maid say something about that while she in there he said he knew her.” I gave Meg a you-think-I-understand-that look. She laughed. “The maid thinks that the Vicomte knows her. It is amazing to think that a little Swedish girl knows the Vicomte. Isn't this amazing!” I nodded hurriedly. This was certainly interesting.

“I wonder if he is in love with her?” I asked quietly. Meg quickly nodded.

“I am seriously thinking he might. One look at him and you know he is crazy about her. All you had to do was watch him while she sang. He was hypnotized. It was a strange sight.” I grinned. I knew this was going to be all over the Opera House soon if it wasn't already.

“How many people know?” Meg laughed.

“Everyone. It is going around the Opera House. I hope it won't cause a scandal.” I laughed.

“Probably will. After all, aren't we used to scandals!” Meg and I both laughed. I was feeling pretty sleepy and so I drifted off for a little while.

Several hours later, I woke up and felt completely restless. I stood up and pulled on my robe. I slipped out of the dorm and soon found myself close to Christine's door. I saw the weirdest sight in the world. Raoul de Chagny was leaning against the door and listening to it. I raised my eyebrows but silently moved forward. His back was to me and I hid behind a plant and listened through the wall. What I heard frightened me. I heard a man's voice and I knew who's it was. It was Erik's. He was saying,

*“Christine, you must love me!”* Then I heard Christine say,

*“How can you talk like that when I sing only for you?”* I was so close to Raoul that I heard his heart beating. It was then I realized that he wasn't liking what he was hearing. Neither was I. I saw him clutch his heart then Erik spoke again,

*“Are you very tired?”* Christine than said,

*“Oh, to-night, I gave you my soul and I am dead!”* This was very strange and I couldn't figure it out. I knew that I certainly didn't like the sound of this conversation. Erik than said,

*“Your soul is a beautiful thing, child. And I thank you. No emperor ever received so fair a gift. The angels wept to-night.”* At this point I turned around and hurried away from the room. There was something wrong with what I had just heard. What was wrong was the pounding in my heart and the pain that I couldn't explain. A pain that had started when I heard Erik claim Christine's love. The same pain that I could easily imagine that Raoul was going through when he heard Christine admit her love. I walked back into the dorm and settled under the blankets and started to silently cry. I never cried unless something major was happening. I then realized what it was. I was jealous.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

I need to make a note. Any words that have a pair of * around them came straight from the book and are in the same context as the book. Just wanted to clarify that!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarahlet2999