Chapter 2 - Opera Ghost

Evangeline's POV:

I descended into a resting position as I and the other ballerinas finished the practice. We had been practicing for hours and I was very tired. Being a ballerina wasn't as much fun as it sounds. It required lots of work for a few hours in the spotlight. Madam Giry dismissed us and I hurried back to the dorm to change.

After slipping into a more comfortable dress, I slipped away from the other girl who had by now swarmed the dorm. I didn't want to talk to them. I wanted to talk to Erik. I had to know more about him. I didn't care that he might very well kill me the next time I stepped into his home so I hurried down the dark hallways to the place where I could find my way to the cellars.

An hour later I dropped back into the mirror room. I had on purpose forgotten to tell Erik that I had a marvelous memory and an incredible sense of direction. I didn't think he needed to know that. I looked around me and it was the same as it had been. It was still covered in mirrors and the noose still hung from the ceiling. I searched the place in the mirror where Erik had first disappeared through and soon found a latch. I tried to pull it but soon found I was locked in. I drew back and folded my arms.

“Well, Ms. Morris, you sure have gotten yourself into a bind. You are now locked in here with no where to go.” I told myself in a tone that I had heard Madam Giry use with some of the ballerinas. I then laughed at myself and went back to examine the noose. It was so interesting. I walked around it and even tried it on. As I fiddled with it I heard someone clear their throat. I turned and shot a winning smile at Erik. He was just like he had been. He was still dressed in his dark cloak and still looked quite menacing. He folded his arms and I could almost feel his glare.

“Good Evening, Monsieur Erik. How are you today?” I almost felt his frown.

“Well enough. Why are you here?” I didn't let my smile leave my face. I needed him to know that I didn't fear him, too much.

“I was bored. I wanted to see you again.” I heard a slight gasp and saw his arms loosen slightly. I was pleased that I could shock the Opera Ghost. “Can you let me out of here? I would like to see your home.” Erik unfolded his arms and walked toward the door. He opened it and walked out, holding it open for me. I smiled at him again and walked out. It was like a small house on the edge of a pretty lake. True, it was underground and there were no grass or flowers. The sun wasn't shining and no wind blew the lake but it was beautiful. I retreated from the window I had been looking through and walked over to a lovely piano which stood in the room. I ran my hand over the keys and looked toward Erik. His hand was clinching and unclinching. I removed my hand and he seemed to calm down. I walked over to a chair and sat down. He took his place on his piano bench and after folding his arms and crossing his legs seemed to glare at me. I folded my arms and said,

“Why do you live down here?” He just seemed to stare at me from under that heavy cowl. I frowned. “Monsieur Erik, I know you can speak. You have spoken to me before. Now, you don't have to answer that if you don't want to but I would like an answer to this one. Why haven't you killed me?” He shifted and finally spoke,

“Because I haven't take the time to kill you. Don't push to hard, I still might.” His voice was good and very beautiful. I liked to listen to it. I wanted to hear it again.

“Monsieur Erik, do you sing?” He nodded slightly.

“May I call you 'Erik'? It is too long to call you 'Monsieur Erik.'” He nodded again. I scowled.

“Will you sing for me?” He shook his head. I sighed.

“You know, to carry on a conversation one must have more than a single participant. Would you mind saying something?” He shrugged.

“Why should I speak to a ballet rat who decided to make my home her new playground?” I smiled.

“I do have a name.” He rose from his seat and moved to the window. I wasn't sure what he was looking at but I wasn't going to say a word until he spoke.

“And I have chosen not to call you by it.” I laughed.

“Well, if you ever forget it then just ask and I will tell you, Erik.” I saw his hand was slightly shaking. I smiled at then looked up at the clock on the wall. I had been here for sometime. I rose from my seat and said,

“I would love to spend more time down here but I really have to go home. Would you be kind enough to take me there?” He growled and led me back to the surface. A moment he was there and the next gone. I sighed and went to bed.

Erik's POV:
I was furious. How did she find her way back? She wasn't supposed to know how to get back. Well, how she did it I would never know but I would see if there was going to be a way to stop her. I didn't like nosy ballet rats. Or did I like this one?