moonlight

"Where'd you find this place?" Sophie breathed, spinning in a small circle as she admired the beautifully romantic place that Keefe had invited her to.

"Fitzy got to bring you someplace like this before, right?" Keefe asked her.

"This is so much better," Sophie promised, standing up on her tiptoes as she pecked him on the cheek.

They were in a small, enclosed space with long weeping willows swaying in the background, moonlight streaming through the branches and casting shadows across the lush grass.  Flowers twinkled as bright as the silver stars forming arrays in the beautiful midnight blue sky.  It looked like something out of a Disney movie.

Keefe sat down on the grass first, leaning his back against a rock as Sophie sat down next to him, grabbing his hand as they stared at the silver moon.

"Keefe?" Sophie asked quietly, turning to face him as she let go of his hand.

"Foster?" he replied, flashing her his trademark smirk.

"Remember the first time we did this?  You were sulking about Empath lessons with your dad? And then... and then-"

"We had our first kiss?" Keefe said softly, giving her one almost identical to the kiss in question.  "Yeah. That was probably the best day of my life."

"I don't know...." Sophie said, mocking uncertainty. "This one does come pretty close..."

Keefe's laugh rang through the darkness. "Foster, every day that I'm with you comes close to the best day of my life- every day with you is the best day of my life."

"You have a way with words," Sophie murmured, taking his hand again.

"I know I do- how do you think the Great Gulon Incident happened anyways?  Do you think I just waltzed in, showed everyone my awesome hair, and told them to cause a bunch of chaos?"

"Keefe, you could talk anyone into doing anything, whether they liked it or not."

There was a beat of silence.

"Do you like this?"  Keefe asked quietly.

"Of course I do," Sophie mumbled, starting to nod off.

And the last thing she saw before she drifted into a peaceful oblivion was her head against Keefe's chest.