25. believe in love

"You didn't eat breakfast today." Elijah whispered to Brynley as the two walked into the backyard of the Lockwood mansion, Elena following behind them.

"Don't talk about it right now, not in front of Elena." Brynley shook her head and Elijah gave her a look. "I don't want the others to know about my....problem."

"You need to eat something." Elijah said.

"Later, I'm not hungry." Brynley sighed.

"So as you've seen, nothing can kill an Original. Not Sun, not fire, not even a werewolf bite. Only the wood from one tree. A tree my family made sure burned." Elijah, Brynley, and Elena walked throughout the backyard.

"That's where the white ash for the dagger comes from." Elena concluded.

"Yes," Elijah confirmed. "The witches won't allow anything truly immortal to walk the earth. Every creature needs to have a weakness in order to maintain the balance."

"So the Sun can't kill an Original." Elena mumbled.

"Why is Klaus so obsessed with breaking the Sun and Moon curse?" Brynley asked.

"You didn't see that memory?" Elijah looked at Brynley and she shook her head, Elijah smiling. "The curse of the sun and the moon. It's all so...biblical-sounding, don't you think?"

"What's so funny?" Elena turned to the original and Elijah explained how Klaus drew the sketches about the curse and many other documents explaining the curse.

"I don't understand. So Klaus drew the Aztec sketches about the curse?" Elena continued to ask questions.

"Roman scrolls, African tribal etchings, and any other culture or continent we felt like planting in it." Elijah sighed.

"But why?" Brynley questioned.

"Easiest way to discover the existence of a doppelgänger or a Hollis fairy or to get your hands on some long, lost moonstone is to have every single member of two warring species on the lookout." Elijah said.

"That's smart." Bryn mumbled.

"The curse of the Sun and the Moon...is fake. It doesn't exist." Elijah informed.

"Oh." Brynley's eyes widened.

"Klaus and I faked the sun and moon curse dating back over a thousand years." Elijah said.

"But if there's no curse..."

"There's a curse. Just not that one. The real one's much worse. It's a curse placed on Klaus." Elijah smirked.

"How did I not see this memory?" Brynley pouted.

"What are you talking about?" Elena tried to make sense of all this.

"Klaus has been trying to break it for the last thousand years. And you two are his only hope." Elijah announced and Elena's phone began to buzz.

"What is this curse?" Elena spoke.

"Your phone will not stop its incessant buzzing. Answer it, please." Elijah handed Elena her phone.