Valencia

"Happy birthday," Godart says with a smile and a small white cosmo flower in one hand. Valencia smiles.

"Thank you," she says. She took the flower and stared deeply at the center of the cosmo.

"I know I was just your archery instructor for most of your life," he began as he sat beside the princess. "but I enjoyed many of our sessions together."

"I, as well. I'm glad you came and joined Yve and me in our hectic journey. I know how difficult it is to go against the king's wishes." Valencia began to frown at the thought of her father.

"I took an oath to protect the bloodline and I'll do just that."

"Thank you. Yve has been very helpful throughout the past couple of months. Honestly, without her, I wouldn't have the guts to do most of the stupid things I have done, like kill a strynk- have you killed a strynk recently, by the way?" she said. Godart laughed and nudged Valencia.

"No, I have not. Yve is pretty special isn't she?" Godart said staring blankly.

"It's not every day you meet a woman who has so much determination." She said. Valencia observed Godart intently and his expression was everything she thought it was. She smiles and rests her head on a pillow.

  •••

The next morning felt different than anything Valencia had ever experienced. This was the first time she wasn't escorted to the dining hall to eat meals meant for a king. Although the food tasted bland or had a distinct taste in it, Valencia was just happy to be able to eat it with friends.

"What are you doing?" Yve exclaims at Valencia. Godart was at the back snickering by himself as Roz just stared in astonishment.

"What?" She said with the bun halfway in her mouth. Then she saw what Yve meant, she had been a fork and knife to eat her meal while the rest of them use their hands. "My hands are dirty,"

Yve laughed out loud and drank her beer. "It's bread!" She exclaimed and Godart laughed even harder. Valencia let go of her utensil and shrank into her seat.

"It doesn't look like bread!"

"Have you never eaten krisomiou before?" Roz questions as she brought another mug of beer their way.

"N-no..." She hesitates.

"It's a Varyan delicacy. Bread with meat inside. They're usually eaten by mages with no tables in their houses so they would eat with their hands. Almost like an all-in-one meal." Yve explained. She took a bun from the basket and took a big bite to the center showing the steaming meat inside.

"What kind of meat is that?" Valencia said a little bit disgusted.

"Any kind of meat really. It's usually boar." Yve looked at Roz who shook her head.

"This one is not boar." She snickered. "You'd be surprised."

Yve waved her hand in denial. "Honestly, it's delicious and I would rather not know," She took another bite.

"I want to know!" Valencia said waving her hands frantically. Godart laughed even more at the sight of Valencia's all too concerned look.

"Honestly, It's like you've never eaten outside of a castle," Roz remarked. She looked at the group expecting a laugh only to be given tense looks.

"O-of course! I'm a lady of the court!" Valencia defended, "I've never touch commoner food."

Yve and Godart forced a laugh and thankfully, Roz laughed as well shaking any suspicion off from the knights.