7. Beacon of Hope?

Sorry for taking so long...

Senku took out a wooden device from one of his bags. Closing one of his eyes, he brought the unidentified wooden object with a complex form closer to his open eye. He looked at the sky as if he was looking for something, making a weird grimace in the process.

"What's that Senku?" Taiju asked pointing at the wooden object.

"It's a sextant."

"Pfft!" You giggled at the name.

"Get your mind out the gutter Ponytail..."

"Oof-" Your cheeks turned red in embarrassment. Yuzuriha giggled at your blushing face. You hid your face behind your hands in shame

"It's been 36.670 seconds since the sun rose today...." Senku calculated with such ease, it made all of you average at math underlings look at him in awe.

"So um... What does it do Senku?" Yuzuriha asked hesitantly.

"It should be able to help us understand where we are based on the position of the sun and the moon in the sky. But since currently, it is made out of garbage, it's accuracy is equally trashy."

"Oh don't say that Senku, you'll hurt sextant-kun's feelings~" You chimed in with a playful smile.

"Wood has no feelings Ponytail..."

Another oof- moment. Why was Senku being so mean to you today?

.
.
.

"And that's why the guys are now two years older than us!"

"Waaaaa.... Seriously!?"

"Yup!" You nodded. You were filling in Yuzuriha with what had happened during the time she was petrified. You were trying your best to cheer her up and try to get her mind off from what happened just a few hours earlier, her crying when she finally realized how much time had passed and how everything known to humanity until then had disappeared.

"You know..." You came closer to her and whispered playfully. "When Taiju's birthday comes in a few months he will be an adult right?" You smiled slyly and wiggled your eyebrows.

"Huh?" Yuzuriha stared blankly at you. Gradually her face bacame redder and redder just like a tomato. "Y...Y/N!!!! What's that supposed to mean?!" She shouted, glaring at your smirking face.

"Yuzuriha!? Are you okay!?" Taiju turned his head to look at you from several meters ahead of you. You brushed his concern off.

"I said nothing!" You giggled as Yuzuriha looked at you with a cute pout. "You are the one who took my words and, ahem" You fake coughed. "- my facial expression the wrong way!"

"For the last time..." You glanced back at the panting and obviously out of stamina Senku, who was left behind from your group, just for that reason. Having overhead bits of yours and Yuzuriha's conversation he understood why Yuzuriha was being shy. "Get your mind of the gutter, you Perverted Fangirl!" He said, also referring to the first time he said that to you, a few hours earlier when you giggled right after he said the word "sextant", the tool he used to figure out the right direction that lead to Hakone.

'I haven't heard that nickname in a long time...' You smirked. "Ara ara~ I can help it Onion Head~ I AM a fangirl after all~" 'But do answer me this! How did you know what I meant while I teased Yuzuriha if your mind wasn't in the gutter as well? Hmmm~?'👀

You smirked to yourself but stayed silent. It was probably because he just knew you that well...

You turned back and glanced towards the vast and full of trees mountains.