Epilogue

A S H L Y N

"Come on, come on!" Sadie shoved a jacket at me. "Get your butt in gear."

"What is your deal?" I snapped and put my coat on. "What's the rush?"

"I spotted a heart-shaped cactus in the field!"

I lifted an eyebrow and eyed Sadie suspiciously. "In that field? Out there?"

She nodded excitedly. I had my doubts about this. The field behind Grandma Lucy's house didn't have cacti. Still, who was I to argue? Sadie had given up her Thanksgiving break to help me pack up Grandma Lucy's house. It had sold and the new owners would take possession soon. I needed all the help I could get packing up the memories of the place.

"Come on, come on!" Sadie pushed me out the door.

"You are so pushy tonight."

She grabbed my hand and dragged me along behind her, running us toward the field with the observatory tower. I didn't complain too much. I had wanted to go out and watch tonight's meteor shower. I had been waiting for Eli, but I guess Sadie had other plans.

We made our way in the dark towards the tower. The sparkling of meteors filled the sky. I wished I'd brought my telescope, but I was sure Sadie wouldn't let me go back for it. I saw shapes in the dark when we neared the tower.

"What's going on?" I asked.

Suddenly the tower lit up. Strings of pink lights snaked up the wood. LED hearts were strung up too. I could see Noah standing nearby with a camera in hand. Sadie bounced excitedly next to me and Eli stepped into the light.

"Ashlyn Emerson," he said and dropped to one knee. My hands flew to my face. "When I was seven, I told my mom I'd marry you. You were my first kiss at the festival of lights and even though it was just youthful fantasy at the time, I'm sure the universe pushed us back together to fulfill it. I fell for you when we were kids and I fell for you again when we met in this field. I've fallen for you a little more each day since then. I want to spend my life with you. For as many stars as there are in the sky, that is how many ways I love you." He opened a little box. I couldn't see the ring well in the dark, but the diamond caught the light of the string lights on the tower. It shimmered like the night sky. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes! Of course! Eli, I love you beyond words and who am I to deny the path the universe set forth?"

He laughed at this and slid the ring on my finger. I helped him to his feet and kissed him with everything I had. We pledged our love beneath the stars and I knew my wish had been granted tenfold.

 We pledged our love beneath the stars and I knew my wish had been granted tenfold

Thank you for reading!

Don't forget to vote and comment if you're enjoying this story so far! I love to hear all of your feedback. :)

 :)