✒III

✒Diana

  Belle begins to cook some eggs. I help her by cooking some vegetables. Maurice sets up the table.

  "Where did you go awhile ago?" Belle asks me as we cook. "To old Harold. I give him so flowers for his dining table as usual. I also offer him to water his plants," I tell her and she smiles. "You are very kind to help him," she compliments me. "He is getting older after all. So why don't I help him." She nods in agreement.

   "The table is ready," Maurice announces and we start to put the food on the table. We sit down and start to eat.

   After eating the lovely breakfast, I watch Maurice finish the music box. He keeps on tinkering until he gets it right. "It has a lovely sound," I remark and he nods, "Indeed."

  "Do you want to go with us on our trip?" Belle offers. I look at her in shock. "What? Come again?" I ask her to repeat. "Would you like to go on our family trip?" she repeats. I decline her offer by shaking my head. "It's your yearly father and daughter trip. I don't to intervene," I tell her and she sighs. "But your like a sister to me," Belle holds my right hand hand. "And you're like my daughter, Diana," Maurice squeezes my left hand.

  "I have to stay. I have something to do at my house," I say to them. "Fine. I won't insist," Maurice tells me. "We will be heading now," he says as he stands up. "Now? Isn't it early? I thought you you guys are leaving tomorrow?" I question and Belle explains, "We had a change of plan."

   "We have to get ready now, Belle," Maurice tells his daughter. Belle nods and they start to go into their rooms.

  I look at the music box and sigh. I lied. I don't have to do anything at my house. I just don't want me to ruin their family trip. I know they accept me as part of their family but... It's so surreal.

   Also they might leave me alone. I don't want to feel welcomed but suddenly it's gone. I don't want that feeling.

  I play the music box and listen to music. "How does a moment last forever? How can a story never die? It is love we must hold onto. Never easy, but we try," I start to the song as I lean my head on the table.

  Maurice treats me like his daughter but I am not his real daughter. It's a family trip. I am not his real family. I am just a poor orphan who lost her parents on the age of three.

  "Sometimes our happiness is capture. Somehow, our time and place stand still. Love lives on inside our hearts and always will," I sing to the tune.

   "We're ready!" Belle says which startled me. "You look lovely Belle!" I tell her and she curtsies, "Why thank you!" We both giggle. "What do you want from our trip?" she asks and I say, "A beautiful rose."

    "Take care of yourself Diana," Maurice tells me and I smile, "Yes, I will." "You both also take care," I put my hands on my waist. They laugh. "We will Diana. Don't worry about us. We have each other," Belle assures me.

   My heart aches. They have each other and I don't have mine. I am all alone. I live alone and will die alone. Tears threatens to escape my eyes. I stop them and smile. I embrace them tightly.

   We walk outside their house. I see Philippe ready for the trip. "Goodbye Belle! Goodbye Maurice!" I say as they ride. "Bye Diana!" they wave to me. Maurice hits Philippe and they start to leave. When they disappear, I let my tears fall down.

    After crying, I gather myself and head to the village library. I need someone to talk to. I walk to Pere Robert. "Diana? What a surprise," he says. I sit on the chair and cry again.

   He rubs my back in comfort. "What happened Diana?" he asks and I tell him, "I just think on how I will just be alone for the rest of my life." "Diana, that is not true. You have Maurice and Belle," he points out. "But they are not living in my home. I always feel alone when I am there. I will die alone."

   "You know what, Diana. Someday, a dashing prince will still have to marry you," he cheers me up and I let out a laugh. "I am serious Diana. A man will love you truly and will live with you forever," he explains, "You may not have a family now. But you will have your own soon." "Thank you Pere Robert," I thank him.

  "Now, you have to cherish Belle and Maurice because they treat you as their own family. You have to accept that," he advices. "It is still unbelievable to me that someone accept me as family. After all, no one want to adopt me in the orphanage. So why would they want me?" I ask. "Because you are you. They love you Diana. Accept it soon," he tells me as he wipes my tears and I nod.

  I have accept it soon...