Chapter 22

Percy's POV.

-6 Days Before the Battle-

"That was good!" I applauded, causing Charlie to grin. "Now try to make a small crack," I directed and she scrunched her eyebrows in concentration. She slammed her foot on the ground and twisted it slightly, making a small crack appear in front of her foot.

"YES!"  She cheered.

"Now close it" I directed and she twisted her foot in the other way. The crack disappeared, and she sprinted up to me and jumped on me. I barely caught her, but put her on my hip. "That was perfect! Coco, I'm so proud of you" I congratulated.

"Now you Luke. Remember to control it". He repeated the same action, and a slightly larger crack appeared. I grinned at him and he closed it.

"That was good right?" He nervously asked, causing me to chuckle.

"That was amazing Lukey. I'm really proud of you too!" I replied. "See, you have the ability to protect yourself. In the little chance you get attacked, you're going to win" I assured them, sitting down on the grass with Charlie in my lap.

"Dada, I'm scared" Luke said and I grabbed his hand.

"Don't be. Aunt Calypso is gonna be there, and Grandma Sally. And I'm talking to Chaos about getting you some extra protection. It'll be ok" I promised and they glanced at each other.

"We're not worried about us Daddy. We're worried about you" Charlie whispered. I winced and pet their heads.

"Your Mom and I are going to be fine. And if we do get hurt, you have so many people who love you" I whispered, pulling them into a hug.

"It's just not fair Dadda. Why you? Don't you deserve a break? And Mama. What if... What if you die" the 7 year old sobbed.

"I know. It isn't fair. But we need to defeat them. And then we'll be a family" I soothed. "I promise."

————————

"What's up Percy?" Chaos asked over the IM.

"Annabeth was pregnant" I blurted and his head jerked up.

"Huh?"

"The camp didn't really turn on me, they were cursed. And I have kids."

"Kids? As in plural?"

"Yeah. Twins," I said bluntly, and he was quiet.

"...congratulations?" He asked confusedly and I laughed.

"Thanks. But I was wondering if I could ask you for a favor" I smiled and he nodded.

"Of course. Anything" he said, shooting me a small grin.

"Is there any way you could send a soldier from sector B to watch them during the battle? The people we're fighting have... personal grudges against us, to say the least. I don't want them to get in the crossfire" I explained and he nodded.

"That seems okay. Anyone in specific?" He questioned.

"I was thinking Alexa? She's good with kids." I shrugged.

"Okay. Is there anything else?" He asked knowingly and I hesitated.

"I'm not coming back, Chaos" I said softly.

"I know. You need to stay with them. We will miss you though. Once the battle is over, I'll come say goodbye. I promise" he reassured and I laughed. "But Percy, I need to warn you about something. I've seen a lot of powerful beings, and Mnemosyne is on my list of top 20. She doesn't seem scary, but she can and will twist your memories. She can make you relive your worst memories, worst heartbreaks, worst feelings. Do not underestimate her. That would be your downfall" he warned. "Especially you, Perce. You've been through so much. She could break you."

"Thats fun. I love being broken by my most painful experiences" I responded sarcastically and he glared at me.

"This isn't a joke! We're family Percy. Stay safe" he said. I nodded and smiled. "I'll see you in a week" I reassured him and he gave me a small smile. I slashed through the iris message and he disappeared. A shaky breath escaped my lips and I fell back onto my cot.

--------------------

I shot out of the bed and screamed. Sweat and tears mixed and dripped down my chin and I hopped out of bed. It was silent other than the sound of the tree's rustling. Grabbing my cloak, I slipped out into the cold night. My eyes adjusted and I walked into the direction of the lake. My safe zone. The water always calmed me, and probably always will. I walked to the dock and froze. Someone was dangling their legs off of the dock, toes grazing the water. The moon shifted and revealed familiar blonde curls. I slid in next to her and she glanced at me. I noticed a few years left on her cheeks, which she quickly wiped them away.

"You good?" I whispered and she nodded.

"Nightmares. I'm used to it, but I didn't wanna wake the kids" she replied simply. I nodded sympathetically.

"I get it. Wanna talk about it?"

"Not really. It was about the pit" she shrugged. It was quiet.

"The twins are getting really good with their powers" I said and she smiled.

"They take after Percy. When Luke was 5 he accidentally grabbed one of my daggers by the blade, and created an earthquake" she remembered amusedly. "And when Charlie was 4, I didn't give her any chocolate and every single glass exploded in the mess hall." I chuckled.

"Sounds like a Percy thing to do" I joked, making her smile.

"Does he hate me?" she asked quietly and I shook my head. 

"Do you hate him?" I asked back.

"No. Never. I love him too much to even consider hating him" she whispered, making a small smile grow on my face. "I feel like the days he's been gone have blended together, making it almost like one of those long movies that you can't stop watching. And it hurts. Almost like stubbing your toe over and over again. Or like a critically sick person being gradually weaned off of life support." I looked at her and she turned her head to me. My body surged forward and I pressed my lips against her, which made her pull back quickly. "What the Hades?" she hissed. I groaned. She stood up, and I followed.

"Annabeth, wait I-" she slapped me.

"Stay away from me" she snarled and stalked back to the Poseidon cabin.

"Well that went well" I muttered to myself sarcastically, rubbing my cheek.

A/N: Please stay safe. These riots are crazy, so be careful. Go support the Black Lives Matter program, or donate to the Minnesota Freedom Fund. I live in a medium sized city, and even that's scary. I can hear the flash bangs which is insane, and my sister is terrified. Anyways, stay safe everyone! XOXO, Amanda <3

The Colchis Bulls are made from what metal?