act nine { the night of déjà vu and spilled truths }

Slumped over her desk, Miyako's eyes bore holes deadlier than anything at the scattered papers around her. Just two seconds ago she was staring at perfectly lined paper, pens, and stationary across her desk, but a rogue breeze half a beat later decided to ruin things. Usually, small messes like this meant nothing to the girl, but tonight of all nights, it was the worst thing that could happen. Be it because she was alone, that her sister abandoned her yet again for something so secretive she couldn't share a thing, Miyako was fed up with everything. Anger, toil, and sadness swam within the depths of her ocean-blue eyes. A mix of emotions too heavy for her to understand.  

"I've had it!" Miyako pursed her eyes closed as she clenched a pencil in a tight hand. 

"I'm doing everything I can, but nothing is working," she leaned back in her seat, gulping in a large breath. "I should go bake that cake before I get even more annoyed."

Tossing her booklet one last glance, she closed the pages of math formulas and questions that didn't make any sense and forced herself to stand. Balled fists fell by her side after she pounded her desk. This anger infuriated every single thing in her body and burned down to the deepest parts of her bones. The more she pounded her anger away, the more she felt...anything and everything. Miyako could feel something within her move. 

"I can't take this much longer. I'm done with this."

The girl's legs shoved the chair to the ground. The muffled thud from the carpet saved her from being alerted, but also alerted her to a weird feeling in her head. Miyako braced her head. The lamp, desk, and papers around were spinning and dizzy--nothing in her vision was focusing. When she took a step, her vision tilted and she could do nothing to stop her fall. 

Pleased with a full meal in her tummy, Nova was rudely greeted by Miyako lying on the ground. Her body jumped to the girl's and her small paw touched the teen's forehead. Nova's gold birthmark glittered sparkles around them both for her to see a wish. Her eyes flashed white as she looked into her own mind and that of Miyako's. 

"Something old and great is happening. This could only be the work of--oh goodness!"

A barrage of light engulfing the room stopped Nova. Blinded by the rainbow rays, shooting gold beams, silver showers and incredible warmth, Nova braced herself for anything. Braving herself to take the tiniest peek at what lay ahead, the cat glimpsed a shocking sight. Although for a quick second, her wise eyes could not deceive the uniform of a Sailor Guardian at the center of light. Against the bright lights, accents of white and gold caught the cat's attention. At her feet was the undeniable shape of a scepter. 

Before Nova could fathom a thought, the light vanished as quickly as it came. As she found her, Miyako lay on the floor right as the door opened.  

"Miyako, darling, I brought you some snacks because I know that booklet is tough. You shouldn't be doing high school work-oh, what's that, Nova?" Ikuko glanced at the cat tugging her dress. Following the paw pointing out, the housewife put down the tray of food to cradle her daughter's body. "Oh, Miyako. You have to tell us when you need help. This can't keep happening without me knowing. It's been four days and you've collapsed twice already."  

Having come to at the sound of her mother's voice, Miyako leaned her head to Ikuko's touch. "I'm just tired, mom. The work was tiring me out."

Ikuko eased her daughter to her bed before she placed the tray of food on her nightstand. Pleased to see proper colour on her oldest daugther's face, Ikuko gathered their hands together in the quiet of the room. Her eyes never missed sight of the stacks of scattered paper. 

"You shouldn't be overworking yourself, Miyako. You're still young and besides school, have no responsibilities besides enjoying your youthful days. You know that your body can't take a lot of stress." Pressing a soft kiss on her daughter's forehead, Ikuko tucked the loose strands behind her ears before she stood up. "I love you. Stay healthy and get a good sleep after eating."