Chapter Twelve. Like a Monday.

Can I have a break? No, I can't. I declined Tom's call for the sixth time that day, I was working at the salon. The girl on my chair was celebrating her twentieth birthday and wanted a 'hot Smokey eye' as she had put it; 'something dramatic', she had also said. I did what I called the 'Bill eye'; I fell in love with it as soon as I saw him wearing it on the 'Automatic' video and for several months I had worn it non-stop at college; that day I wore no makeup at all but some lip gloss to keep my lips from drying up.

Most of the people I applied makeup to talked the entire time until I brought out the lipstick, this girl was a quiet one, but once she took out her phone and saw a picture of one of her friends on Facebook, she started talking. I figured she wouldn't shut up, so I kept listening and made some comments now and then.

"Your phone keeps ringing." She passed me my phone from the edge of the table. "Your boyfriend must be worried if he's called so much."

"He's not my boyfriend." I told her as I applied the blending color on the socket of her right eye.

"That's why he's calling so much, then." The girl giggled.

I chuckled and we kept talking about men. She didn't have much experience but for her delight I had a fair share of awful dates to tell her about. From the time I went ice skating with a guy who couldn't ice skate, to the time a guy asked me to lend him some powder for his nose in the middle of dinner.

"Why? Have you ever had a good date?" I thought about it, I had. "Oh, but I mean a real one, not the ones from high school, those are kids' play..."

"I went out with a real handsome guy once, he was good until I got home and found out he had a girlfriend." The girl opened her eyes and looked at me.

"Seriously!" I smiled down at her and finished up after another ten minutes.

"I'm going in, don't be naked!" I yelled as I opened the door to Bill's room.

It had happened once that I walked up on Bill getting dressed. It had been awkward, but thankfully he didn't share Tom's sense of humor and never brought it up.

"Shower!" He yelled and I walked out of his messy room and went to the backyard. The dogs were there lying on the grass before the ray of sunlight.

I sat on the grass and laid down too.

"What are you doing?" I heard the low voice, preferring to ignore it.

"I'm taking the sun with my friends over here." One of the dogs licked my arm and tried to lick my face as well. "shh! No!" I sat up.

"Great friends you have." Tom sat next to me.

"They don't say nasty things to me." I mentioned with a neutral tone. He pulled out his phone and motioned to it. "What?"

"I've called you all day." He said annoyed.

"Well I've been working all day." I pushed his dog away but he was bigger than me while I was sitting.

He shushed it away and the dog rested his big head on my lap as he was petted by its German owner.

"Bill warned me one day you'd be really angry." Tom said casually. I nodded and looked at the dog leaning on my lap with Tom's hand on its head. "I'm sorry for saying that."