12| Zouja!

Z O U J A

Z O U J A

A group of ladies sat by the creek, sharing the newest gossip. Three gentlemen stood huddled together under one of the cherry trees, teacups in hand, laughing over something one of them had said. A few couples had branched off from other groups. Hayat watches a pair of courting ladies walk with hands clasped together, the hoops of their skirts touching.

Hayat had been strolling around the courtyard of the palace, at the further end of which was also the stable, crowded by warriors who were looking after their horses as if preparing it for a journey. Hayat had never had the chance to ride one even though she desperately wanted to. She even noticed the flirty glances of the ladies who sat by the creek towards the warriors.

They were all handsome young men and she knew it was bound to happen.

The gown that Hayat wore was silver, the skirt showcasing loose ribbons made to look like waterfalls spilling down the sides. Tiny gems, sapphires and emeralds, were shaped to look like fish jumping from the bundled fabric all along the hemline.

Leila trails closely behind her as she carefully observes everyone in the garden.

Her eyes flickered back to the stables and her footsteps came to a halt when she spotted the guard who ran after Zehra. He was fastening a leather saddle on the back of a horse so beautiful, Hayat was distracted.

This horse was beautiful enough to be a bronzed statue! With an unbelievably shiny coat that appeared to be metallic in the sun. It had a distinctive gait and colour among the other horses in the stable. It was simply elegant.

The guard looked occupied but Hayat couldn't contain her curiosity, she marched towards the stable, to where the guard stood, petting the horse's back.

"We are not allowed to go to stables. My lady, please." Leila had warned, yet Hayat didn't care. "People are watching us." "I don't care." She wanted to know what happened to Zehra. Leila had not followed her into the stable grounds. The moment she had entered, warriors began to bow their head down in courtesy. She walked past them, towards the guard who's back faced her.

"Excuse me!" He had turned abruptly at her voice. He looked a little startled. "My queen", he bowed. "Where did you take the woman you caught yesterday?" Hayat's voice held authority, she knew if she wanted information, she had to use her position to entice it out of him. Aziz was still furious but he no more suspected Hayat.

"I am not supposed to say my lady." He didn't meet her eyes and instead gazed at her slippers as if they were the most interesting things he had ever seen.

He was a tall fellow with a generous helping of freckles across his nose and cheeks. His nose was broken once, but it was set well. Only a small notch near the bridge gives anything of it away. Somehow, the imperfections only made him more handsome. It managed to make him look dangerous and mysterious.