18| The Unerring Promise Of Something More

This is a long one. I hope you enjoy. Thanks to everyone for all the love and duas. It made my day.

Also your lovely comments forced me to write. ❤

I'd like to clear one thing, if there are questions that I am not answering regarding the story, it's only to not kill the suspense. It's a romantic thriller and I need you to trust me. As the story unfolds, you'll understand everything that might have not made sense.

Just please trust me.

Thankyou!

There is a part in the chapter where the shahadh is said. I've written it half, complete it for me in the comments if you are a Muslim and if you are a non Muslim, just drop a ❤ I want to see how many of you read the author's note lmao🙈

 I've written it half, complete it for me in the comments if you are a Muslim and if you are a non Muslim, just drop a ❤ I want to see how many of you read the author's note lmao🙈

T H E   U N E R R I N G   P R O M I S E    O F       S O M E T H I N G    M O R E

Hayat looked up at the starlit sky above. It was a deep blue, with a crescent moon wrapped in a fleece of passing clouds. The sky seemed to stretch on without an end, its horizon curving to meet the sand on either side. Its blinking stars were a study in contrasts, some flashing in merriment, others winking in wicked suggestion, all but pretending to be oblivious to the tyranny of humans on earth, precisely in the atrocious and barbaric Kingdom of Hudaan, where life of it's people was too cheap and death was too easy.

She didn't want to look at the gallows, the dais at which she herself had been standing not long ago, preparing herself for her inevitable death.

People were cheering all around her, and she tried not show the anger she felt at everyone.
A man was being murdered and the people were rejoicing.

For them he was a traitor, not somebody's father or husband, not somebody's brother, son or friend. They were executing him to make an example of him. Hayat didn't want to watch the execution but it was an order from the King that every dweller, every guard, khadim and kaneez of AL Qasr had to watch him die. They didn't care if some people were weak. They didn't care if some people didn't have the courage to face death.

Her head had been swirling, she couldn't cry because that would make her look like a traitor too, she bit her lower lip, hard enough that she tasted blood. Leila had stood beside her. She was not standing in the crowd, she stood on a seperate elevated platform along with the other important people of the palace and it was still crowded.

Hayat knew she wouldn't be able to watch it. Painful memories of blood flashed right infront of her eyes. To avoid the fishy glance of the people, she kept looking up at the sky from time to time, occasionally glancing at the dais.