Chapter 2 ☆ Cigarettes and Detention

I am awoken by Yunha shaking me. "Get up!! We have school y' know??" she yells.

***

I let Yunha walk into school alone while I sneak out back to get away before everything starts. As I sit down next to the small flower garden, I notice a small white box halfway underneath the dirt. I dig it out and open it to see cigarettes inside.

Huh... Some fool must've left these here... Maybe I could get rid of them.

I think before pulling one out to make sure they're real. Suddenly, I hear footsteps in the grass getting closer and closer to me.

"What are you doing?"

I look up to see a tall boy with dark brown hair, wearing a white shirt underneath a black school uniform, black jeans, and a red tie. He looks down at me, then at the box that I'm holding in my hand.

"Uhh, I found them?"

"Yeah, sure you did. Give me that," he says while snatching the box from my hands.

"Who are you?" I ask.

"Beomgyu. Who are you?"

"Y/n," I reply.

"I'd say it was nice to meet you but I'm guessing you're the queen bee," he says.

"What? Queen bee?"

"Mean girl. The most popular and bitchiest," he explains.

"Oh. Nah, that's Aemi." I laugh.

"Who?" he asks, not knowing who I'm talking about.

"Oh, wait you're new. I forgot."

"Yeah. And ever since I've been here, it's been weird. Some girl shouted at me from the second floor of their house last night..." he chuckles.

"Oh... Um... Yeah... That was Yunha, my best friend."

"She was the one-" suddenly, Beomgyu is cut off by someone clearing their throat.

We turn towards the noise to see Mrs. Chae, my first-period teacher. She is standing there with her arms crossed. She sees the cigarette in my hand and the box in Beomgyu's hand, then she sighs before gritting her teeth.

"Both of you to the principal's office, now! And since you two think it's so cool to smoke, I will put my first-period class on hold until you both get back!" she yells before we rush to the office.

We explain everything but then Mrs. Chae walks in and tells another story. Of course, the principal believes her, and we have to go to after school detention. Then Mrs. Chae grabs our hands and pulls us by her room door and tells us to wait there before she walks inside, leaving us to stand in the hallway.

"Ugh. I've been here a day and you've already gotten me in trouble!" he mumbles.

"Hey! I didn't do it!"

"Says the one who had the cigarettes. I only took them away because they're bad. You're so stupid!" he yells.

Suddenly Mrs. Chae clears her throat and we realize she is standing in the doorway, waiting for us. She grabs our wrists and pulls us to our seats, which are sadly next to each other.

"Now, I have paired everyone else because of your little mishap, you two will be paired on this project." She says.

"What project?" Beomgyu asks.

"A project on what love really is." She replies. "You have to research as much as you can about relationships, why some don't work out, why some last forever, and why we always want to be in one, then when it ends, you must read your report together."

Everyone whines and groans before she gives us papers, rules for our assignment. Then she explains it more before the bell rings.

Every other class I had with Beomgyu, he would glare at me, probably trying to set me on fire.

Finally, I am walking down the crowded hallway with my books in my hands when I suddenly run into someone, making both of us drop our books

"Oh! I'm so sorry! Let me help." I say while kneeling down to pick up their books and papers.

"Nah, it's fine. Don't worry about it," he says.

I look up at him and he looks at me with wide eyes. "You? Why do you keep following me around??"

"Well, this is a school you know?" I reply sarcastically.

His cheeks flush a light pink before he runs off. I then follow him because we have the same class. But the whole time, he wouldn't look at me.

Finally, school ends, and Beomgyu and I are sent to detention for two hours.