2

The next couple days are interesting as they begin settling me into a new role, all the while I try to become comfortable in my new home and not be to closed off from the Alpha I want nothing to do with. My nature makes me desire him, still incredibly attracted to everything about the male that was made for me but not overly upset as I see him hugging on his false mate everyday.

Layla is bothered by me being back. I see it in her posture and the way she grips Christians hand hard enough to break the skin with her nails, but no amount of malice on her part could make me leave this pack.

I fought to be here, went through more in my three years than any male Beta had and I was proud. So I didn't fool with the woman who held so much hate in her boringly shaded eyes.

I mind my own business, only speaking to them when necessary and happy that Christian hasn't called me aside to hold any formal conversation. One day it would all be normal between us, or I hoped at least. Only when I found my own replacement for the man who should've been mine will it be—I think.

The pack house had been set up for our upcoming guests, except for Vrakler and Dark Waters packs. We'd be putting them in the two large cabins we had deep within our forest, their privacy was of upmost importance and their alliance with one another meant we needed them to be close.

The better we treated them, the greater chance we had at winning their favoritism if it ever came down to it.

The other packs would be in the shared housing, spending time with our people and throwing a never ending party. I was thankful to have my own place, the house was perfect for me and it was amazing how well my mom had done to make it feel like home.

Quilts made by my grandmother settled across the simple, modern furniture they'd bought for me. I was still missing a few pieces, as she knew how picky I was about certain things.

I had been supplied a couch, a bed and a very beautiful stand to hold my TV on. My father apparently made it while I was gone, carving each piece individually. Everything else would be up to me.

"Will you be joining us for lunch today? Before the packs arrive?" Christians voice startles me, making me jump as he walks up from my left where I should've already known he'd been. I give a quick glance and see he's amused, my small gasp clearly funny to the man with someone else's mark gracing his neck.

Stop thinking about it, I tell myself.

He notices where my eyes land, the amusement quick to leave as he tries to cough the awkwardness away. This was the first time we'd been decently alone together, only a few pack members moving around us as they double check rooms for towels and blankets, anything that may be needed by the Alphas and Betas soon to join us. I had no doubt they were all ease dropping, waiting to see what would play out between the newest Beta and her Alpha.

I look away, focusing on anything but him.

"I'm still settling into my place and the pack doctor wants one more look at my new mark, make sure it heals correctly with the silver and all. Go for a run—just a lot to do. I'll catch up after though." I'm rambling by the end, cursing myself for talking so much.

"My wolf hasn't been out since yesterday, we could go together? Maybe hunt something or just-" I have to stop myself from hurting him, the rage inside of me building at his suggestion.

There was an intimate gesture behind running together, our wolves recognized one another and he knew that. Mine, however, hated the male in front of me. Our nature was an internal sense more than it was another being.

"Do not offer such vial things to me again, Christian. It's unfair, I came back believing we would move past everything but I can't do that if you are like this." I hiss at him, my stance going from tense to defensive as he makes a move to get closer.