9

I should laugh it off, throw my hands up and let Christian live with the satisfaction of my refusal to fight him: I can't. Not when Raeton is standing there encouraging me. Does he think I can win?

Should I try to win?

The nature inside of me puffs it's chest, where it should be tucking tail and running but I'm blaming it on the mouth watering Alpha wearing my scent. The one whose eyes are on every inch of me. I should not care.

His opinion, his words shouldn't be whats driving me but sweet goodness they are.

I want to give him what he wants, I want to win and show this male that I am worthy of him but it would be useless. I'm strong, quick—I'm one of the best Betas. But that does not out do the natural strength of an Alpha male. It wasn't abnormal for the Beta and Alpha to fight, to show off a bit in front of the pack—as seen with the ones before us.

This is different however, two mates who'd never made their bond were going head to head for all to see. My heart was beating fast, chest hurting at the thought of taking down someone I was supposed to love. Because for me this wasn't some spar with my Alpha, it was my opportunity to show him the strength of a Luna that he gave up.

My confidence spikes.

Raeton believed in me. I believed as well. I'd make this man my bitch, and if not—I'd never submit.

What was I getting myself into?

"Rules?" I question, stopping only a few feet in front the man who'd once broken my heart. The unpleasant scent of jealousy seeps through the pores of his pouting Luna, making me clench my fists with the memories of their mating passing through my head.

"Teeth are allowed, no claws. Stay in your skin, and don't ruin my pretty face." It's a joke, Christian makes it easily because he isn't worried.

We'd spent our child hood fighting one another, and he knew my tricks. The male before me knew my signs, my give always and everything that had ever made me...me. I nod, not letting the angry sneer take over my expression no matter how much I'd like it to.

"May the best mate win." I whisper, eyes never leaving his.

The look of shock is worth the words, but I'm given little time to enjoy it as he lunges for me. My goal is to make him fight with anger, as I will control myself.

I dodge him, the feel of his finger tips just enough to allow that natural spark to move through us. Another moment of staring, his breathing heavy as he fights the beast inside of him—his nature didn't want this fight.

The human rejected me, the wolf never did.

My fur was over him, both of us well aware of the pain we'd been put through and never wanting another moment with the one who'd brought it upon us.

"Let's see what those years away from me taught you, Little Flower." I scowl at the nickname, fighting the urge to go straight for the kill. His name for me growing up feels like a sword moving through my heart, a slow and painful reminded of the times I'd never wanted to go through.

He's closing in on me, pushing me towards the edge of the circle as I keep an eye on his long legs, overall he had a big advantage on me and I didn't want him to get the chance to get me on the ground.

When he moves again I kick his knee, barely escaping the hand that grabs for me.

I make it to the middle of the circle once more, bouncing on the balls of my feet as I watch him move through the pain.

I'd definitely caused pain.

We do this for a few minutes, me repetitively moving away with each lunge until I gain the confidence in his form to go straight for the knee I'd hit many times already. I hit him with my shoulder, scooping his body and doing my best to flip him over me but I'd underestimated his weight and skill. Never a smart move. I lift him from the ground, but he's rolling wide ways with ease. That long arm wraps around my neck and I'm being pulled to the Earth, and painful ache in my skull when he slams me down and my head seems to bounce.