5

You never forget the pain that others have caused you, and sometimes it's all you think about for the rest of your life.

Every couple I've seen since my rejection has managed to send that blinding pain through my body, a reminder that I was in fact never to be happy as they were. That my chance as forever was stowed beneath the love for another, a choice made by someone made specifically for me and rejected. My heart practically torn from my chest the moment I'd seen that regret in Christians eyes, it had spoke volumes and told me what was about to happen before the words had ever left his mouth.

He'd never looked at me with longing, every stare I received felt as though it was on borrowed time and that ate at me. I'd dreamed about Christian every night, felt that pain and saw the way he'd mounted another female. Placed his mark on another woman.

The way Raeton has stared at me in my wolf form was the way I'd always wanted to be looked at. My legs carried me through the forest with ease, after years of training this was second nature.

Having been taught how to hunt properly, my senses twice as good after the rigorous exercise they used to put me through.

My stomach flipped at the sound of Raetons howl, he'd begun the chase and I pick up speed. Flying through the trees and jumping over fallen limbs as I tried to pick my destination.

I could run him in circles, make the Alpha of Dark Waters chase me all the way back to his cabin but one of our waterfalls comes to mind.

I take a sharp left, my breathing picking up as I try to estimate how much ground he's covered. By the sound of his heavy paws crunching leaves and sticks I can tell it's quite a bit; I grin at his speed.

Not many could run faster than me, for what I lacked in size I made up for is swiftness. My agility better than any I'd faced in training, and my desire to win always pushing me to the top.

But now, as I ran from an Alpha so much larger than myself, I was excited and a little hopeful he'd catch me.

After the run I'd need to show him the land, let him see what our Pack has to offer and what parts of it I loved the most. I'd never been to Dark Waters, so I hoped to hear about his as well. Having other here would hopefully kick me off to a positive start of being back, and even after they all left maybe it would give me an excitement for the future.

Through the trees I see the destination I'd had in mind, the splatter of water against rocks a beautiful sound that filled my ears. Raeton was close, his heavy breathing easily heard and I could smell his presence as he came closer.

Before I can reach the edge of the tree line I'm tackled, causing us to roll all the way into the thick green grass with animal laughter.

When we come to a stop we're at the edge of the water, I'm on my back once more and his strong frame towers over me with labored breathing.

My amusement comes to a quick end as I catch sight of the handsome white wolf above me, his body large and powerful but also incredibly pleasing to my eyes.

My body was alive beneath his, desire turning my stomach upside down.

With a low growl he slowly pushes his nose against my neck, inhaling loudly before moving over my frame with the same actions. The fact that I'd never had a male touch me in such a way had every nerve in my body on edge, begging for him to continue and stop at the same time.

An endless fight of right and wrong.

Raeton moves lower, and by the time he's nearing the place between my legs I let out a whimper—his eyes snap upwards to look at me and I watch him tilt his head.