16

Songs:

All I Want (For Christmas)~Liam Payne

Night Changes~One Direction

"Never judge a person for their mistakes, judge a person on how they fix them."

Unknown

~Reece's POV~

As I sat in the kitchen next to Sky I tried my hardest to focus on my surroundings. The two of us were waiting for the muffins to finishing baking. No matter how hard I tried to distract myself I always found my mind wandering back to Em and how in the world I could fix all the mistakes I made.

I might have been easy if I had just made one mistake. If the first day I had just let her be and told her that I would support what she wanted. I knew that she was struggling right now and it hurt my heart to know that I could have completely prevented this from happening. I could feel that I was starting to disconnect from the world and this time I had a hard time controlling it. Before I knew it I was reliving the last few months of my life, the same way I do almost every night.

I couldn't get myself to focus on anything except the past. How if I had just accepted it from the beginning, everything would be fine. If I had apologized that night in the hotel room, everything would be fine. I had so many chances to fix my mistake but now I'm here. Sitting on the kitchen floor trying to think of how to solve the damn near impossible task of fixing it now.

I mean I could try apologizing but that won't get me near as far as I need to be. Even if by some chance my apology actually makes her feel better, we have so much work to do in our relationship to get back to where we started. It blows my mind that we used to be inseparable sometimes. Now we're hardly ever caught in a room together. And when we are, needless to say it usually ends badly.

"Reece!" I jumped, startled by the sudden sound.

"Hmm yeah?" I blew off the fact that I obviously wasn't listening before hand.

"Uncle Morgan is here," I furrowed my eyebrows, clearly wondering why on earth he was here.

"My mom doesn't like to leave me home alone remember," She sighed. I did know that. Our parents work made it pretty hard for any of them to want to leave us home alone. However, Penelope was the one known for never doing it. And I mean never.

"So he's playing babysitter today?"

"Yes I am," He chuckled, which was followed by the obnoxious sound of the oven timer going off.

"Welcome to the kitchen," I gestured.

"It's grand, that why we're sitting on the floor," Sky joked. She started to get the muffins out of the oven.

"So what were you thinking about?" She asked me. Great.

"Oh just stuff I have to do when I get home," I said, trying not to sound too worried or sad.

"Wow, I never would have thought cleaning my room would take up that much of my focus," She laughed. Yeah... cleaning my room.

"It's umm... a big mess right now,"

"Mine too. That's why we're in the kitchen," She laughed. I couldn't help to let my thoughts wander back to my sister who's room was actually a mess.

...

~Em's POV~

"102," I mumbled under my breath.

"What? 102?" My dad questioned as he walked past me with a laundry basket. I sighed, not really wanting him to have heard me.

"102. That is the one hundred and second thing I have picked up off the floor," I stated bluntly, obviously annoyed with the fact that I even managed to get 102 things on the floor. It's a side effect of that whole metaphorical train thing.

"Wow. You definitely are my kid." He shook his head while continuing to walk towards the laundry room. I was glad that I could now see the floor. Despite the fact that I had picked 102 items up off of it. But the bad news was, that was only half of my room.

I stood for a second and observed my surroundings, half of my room was basically clean. All of the cans, water bottles, dishes, dirty clothes, and anything else I might have thrown on the ground were gone, replaced with musty white trash liners filled with probably any sort of trash you could imagine. But, of course, there was still the half where nothing was in the trash bags yet.

"How about you take out those bags and put them in the dumpster?" My dad instructed me as he walked back into the room, the laundry basket in his hands now empty. Sometimes profilers are the worst. Other times, they can tell when you're overwhelmed or anxious or whatever and they'll help you through it. So while I didn't really want to take out the garbage, I had no idea where else to start so that's what I did.

I picked up the two bags, noticing their weight was not really heavy but not necessarily light. As I started the walk to the side of the house, I thought about how I would never in a million years be doing this on my own and how even if I was I would have given up by now and how the only reason I'm as far as I am with it is my dad. Sighing, I threw the bags into the dumpster and made my way back to the door.

The cement of the sidewalk was cold against my sock covered feet and judging by the clouds overhead, it was going to rain soon. The cold breeze rose goosebumps on my arms but as soon as I set foot back in the house, they were gone as soon as they came.

I walked back into my room to the of the pile of laundry that was once thrown on my bed now folded in neat piles. I looked at my dad, who was now clean yet another 102 things off the floor, confused on how he managed to fold it all so quickly.

"Why don't you put that all away and then join me," He said, flashing a smile back to the confusion on my face. I nodded and began to do as he asked. Maybe today didn't turn out to be so bad. Maybe today will be the turning point.

"Every moment is a fresh beginning."

T.S. Eliot