3 ≻ Not Like the Last Time

Not Like the Last Time

Esme took me home later that night. She had offered me to stay with them but I didn't want Charlie to freak out. Besides, I needed a moment on my own to assimilate the tragic news.

The trip from the Cullens to my house felt eternal. Esme did not try to talk to me and I really appreciated it. After all, what was I going to say?

Why did your son leave me? Why did he decide to abandon me breaking my heart?

She was not able to answer those questions. Actually, none of the Cullens was. And I did not expect any answer from them. I was sure Edward had made his decision alone because his family would not have left him go so easily.

Esme parked in front of my house and slowly turned to me. We looked at each other and the inevitable happened. I started crying again covering my face with my hands. She leaned closer to me and hugged me strongly. To my surprise, she did not ask me to stop crying or tried to calm me down. She just let me fall apart.

Esme was indeed a good mother. She knew I would not be able to do this with Charlie or with my own mother. She knew I needed her right now.

Only when I could control my tears and stopped sobbing, she spoke.

"Bella, I want you to promise me something."

"Anything," I replied knowing I would regret my answer.

"You are going to take care and be careful. You are not going to do anything stupid tonight."

"Like jumping off a cliff?" I told her faking a smile, but the memory hurt me deep inside.

"Exactly like that."

"Don't worry, Esme." I took a deep breath and looked outside the window and into the woods for a moment. "Something tells me this is not going to be like the last time."

She frowned and looked ahead at the dark empty street, like if she was remembering that last time. I was not ready to bring those memories back, so I opened the door of my truck and got out.

"Here," Esme told me giving me the keys of my truck as she got out of it too. She was the first Cullen who had not complained about the speed of my vehicle.

I stood in the sidewalk and she quickly came to my side. "Don't worry, he's sleeping. I can hear him snoring."

"Great. I am not ready to explain anything. Not yet." I admitted and sighed in relief.

"Take your time, sweetie. It will hurt-"

"Again." I interrupted her.

"Yes, again. I'm afraid."

"I guess I should go in now," I did not want to be rude to her but I was feeling another collapsing moment coming over me soon. And even though she was her mother, Esme was not responsible for Edward's decision's effects on me.

"Okay. But, before you go in, you haven't answered me."

"I promise you I won't do anything stupid."

"And?"

"And that I'll take care of myself."

"Good. Come here," she told me opening her arms.