10 ≻ Conditions

Conditions

Tension was easily felt in the air.

Aro and Marcus were clearly exited about my request, though Caius and Alec seemed to be just surprised. But as regards Jane, well, she was about to explode in rage and she did not bother to hide it.

"No way." Was the only thing she repeated looking at Aro with pleading eyes.

"But, Jane, why not?" He asked her getting annoyed at her insistence.

"Because that was not the deal! She was to be turned into a vampire by the Cullens or we would kill her and all of them!" she yelled turning to me, her bright eyes as red as never.

"I did what I could to respect our deal, Jane." I told her losing my patience but scared of her reaction at the same time.

After all I had gone through I would not let a stupid vampire to steal my only chance left to find happiness. If I was not going to have my happily ever after with Edward, then I would fight for one on my own.

"Well, it was not enough evidently."

I took a deep breath to calm down and quickly looked away. Ignoring Jane was definitely the healthiest thing for me to do. And after all, it was not my intention to get a new enemy, especially a lethal one as her.

"Bella," Marcus called me with a loving voice, "do you understand what your favour implies?"

"Yes," I gulped trying not to focus much on the negative side of it, "I won't go back home, I won't see my family or friends again."

"And most important, you are obliged to keep the secret."

"Of course," I told him, smiling as if his words were some sort of confirmation.

"I believe we should seriously debate this." Caius said sternly, getting up from the table and looking straight at Aro. "The three of us."

Aro nodded, still smiling, and he and Marcus followed Caius towards the door, making me doubt about my confidence. What was there to debate?

"Bella, you should go back to your room. This will take time." Alec told me getting up too. "I'll walk you there."

I sighed in defeat as it was obvious I would not be getting a definite answer, at least not that night. I followed Alec out of the big room, not without taking a last look at Jane who was still irritated in her chair.

Alec seemed a bit uncomfortable walking at my pace, but he did not complain. We were silent all the way until we reached my room.

"Should I stay awake and wait for an answer?" I asked him, showing him all my vulnerability.

"You are asking a vampire whether to sleep or not?" he chuckled and his laugh echoed in the dark hallway.

"I'm sorry," I admitted forcing a smile. "Good night."

I was about to enter my room when his cold hand stopped me as he grabbed my arm for the second time that night.