7 ≻ Scarlet

SCARLET

Many times in my life I have felt a bit lost, but nothing would compare to that very moment.

I had just left the airport and I was now wandering around the streets of Rome, completely disoriented. Obviously I did not speak Italian, just a bit of French and not so well I admit.

But even as lost as I was, I have to say that I still felt amazing. I was on my own in a different country, a different continent, and very far away from the only person who could hurt me again. Well, not a person actually. Edward.

I stopped walking when I got to a crowded corner and I am sure everybody noticed I was a foreigner because I was looking everywhere, trying to decide which way I should take. Fortunately, a young man, maybe a bit older than me, walked to me and asked me something in a beautiful Italian accent.

"Sorry, I don't speak Italian." I said biting my lip.

"Oh. Mi scusi. English?" he asked me insecurely.

"YES!" I felt so relieved. He was the first person who I could talk to. "Could you help me?" I asked him speaking slower than I normally do.

"Si. Yes!" he laughed.

"Thank you so much." I told him smiling. "I need to get to Volterra."

He frowned at my request. Maybe Volterra was not the most visited place in Italy.

"Rome is beautiful." He told me pointing around. "You not stay here?"

"Oh, yes. Rome is really lovely but I need to visit Volterra."

"Bene. You go in train."

Great. A truck ride, a plane and now I had to take a train. The journey which had begun in Forks was becoming longer than I had expected. Having no option, I heard this guy's instruction to get to the train station.

I had to walk for almost an hour, but I knew it was worth it. The train station was magnificent and, luckily, there were many employees who spoke English. I got my ticket with no problem and boarded the train a little after.

The ride was quite long, a couple of hours in fact, but I did not complain. I was getting more and more excited as I got closer to my destination. My final destination.

As I looked outside through the window I tried to spot any familiar place from the time Alice and I had been here, but it was in vain. That previous time Alice had not only stolen a car but had driven insanely fast. Everything had been a blur.

I told myself I should leave those days where they belong, exactly in the past, and focused on my future, so I kept admiring Italy through the window.

Volterra. Sun.

Those could be synonyms, the exact same thing. As soon as I left the train station the sun blinded me. The people on the street seemed to be used to it, but I had to take a few minutes to adjust my eyes to the shining star in the sky. Maybe the time in Forks had affected my tolerance.

My heart started to beat faster as I walked through the narrow streets of Volterra. I was so anxious to find the Vulturi that I was grinning as if I had gone mad. And then a odd thought crossed my mind. What if they found me first?