6 ≻ Departure

Departure

The sun was setting when I drove into Port Angels.

The city looked pretty much the same to me but there was definitely something different. Though I guess it was just me.

I parked in front of an old mechanical workshop and took a small piece of paper from my pocket. The address was right, so I got out of my truck and stood outside the shop where two men were discussing about tires or something similar.

When they noticed me one of them turned to me.

"Good evening, lady."

"Hello. I know it's late but I cannot come back tomorrow."

"No problem. Is everything okay with your truck?"

"Yes. In fact it is so fantastic that I want to sell it."

"Really? That's a relic! Are you sure?"

I took a deep breath and lied.

"Yes."

Selling my truck was one of the most painful things I've ever done. It was not only a good memory from my days in Forks but also a memory of Charlie. It had been a present, his lovely way to welcome me back in his home. And now I was getting rid of it. It really broke my heart, but it was the only way I had to get the money I needed.

After I convinced the guys to buy the truck and get the money, I got in it for one last time to take my suitcase out of it. I sat behind the wheel and take a moment to say good bye.

"I guess this is the goodbye, right? I promise you I won't ever replace you. You are one in a million." I said as a tear fell down my cheek. "But I have to do this, for me. No vampires or werewolves this time." I looked around the cabinet for the last time. "I'll miss you, but I have to go now before they think I'm crazy for talking to a truck. I love you."

I got outside of it, saved the money I'd just got safely in my wallet and began to walk away. I was relieved that I had been able to do it without crying. Well, almost.

After walking for a few blocks I decided it was better to get a taxi, so I did so and in a matter of twenty minutes I was already at the airport.

I walked in the luminous building and went straight to buy a ticket, but when I was on the line my phone began to ring. I checked the time and realized that Charlie must have just read my letter. I was right, it was he calling. I ignored the call and whispered and apology to my phone. As I knew it would happen, Charlie continued calling me while my mother began texting me. I got like fifteen messages in less than five minutes, all saying the same, where I was, why I had left and asking me to come back.

"Good night, Miss. How can I help you?"

"Good night," I answered the employee behind the counter, putting my phone back in my jeans pocket. "I'd like to buy a plane ticket, please."

"Sure. Where to?"

I sighed, revised my plan in my head and nodded to myself.

"Italy."

"Okay, the next flight is scheduled for 11 pm. Is that okay for you, miss?" she asked me checking the information on her computer.

"Perfect." I smiled.

After all the formalities, the employee instructed me where I should board and then I was finally given the ticket while she sent my suitcase to be kept on the plane until the departure.

I searched for an empty chair in the waiting area and made myself comfortable sitting down next to the window. I was so concentrated looking at the planes landing and taking off, wondering where they come from or would go, that I completely forgot about my phone.

There were countless missing calls and lots of messages from my parents, even some from Jacob! But there was only one that caught my attention, so I decided to read it.

"Bella, my family and I know this is your decision and we respect it. We only ask you to take care and please, think your next step twice. Personally, I promise you that I'll take care of Charlie as long as I can. We wish you the best and be sure we are all going to miss you. Have a good life, Carlisle."

It was definitely a nice surprise to get a message from him in name of his family. My first reaction was to start writing a reply, but then I stopped. I had told myself I would start a new life, and to do that I had to leave everything behind.

I allowed myself to think one last time about the Cullens, my parents, Jacob and my friends from Forks. The positive things were the ones I would try to remember for the rest of my life since I had had enough negativity lately.

I turned my phone off and put it inside my bag as I relaxed in my chair. I stared at the people walking around the airport, families reuniting and others saying goodbye. It was a good thing I was alone because I hated public affection demonstrations.

I do not know how long I remained looking at the people around me, but I assume it was quite a lot because all of a sudden the loudspeakers called for the people to board the plane with destiny to Italy.

I almost ran towards the boarding gate but I got there in time, though I was the last one in the line. A young man greeted me and took my ticket.

"Good night, miss. Are you ready to board?"

That was it. That was the question that would mark the rest of my life.

I had the chance to say no and go back to my old life, putting an end to my plan. But I could also say yes and take the decisive step to start living as I had decided long ago.

"Yes, I'm ready." I said smiling and walked towards the plane.

I got a seat next to the window, so I was lucky to enjoy the last view of my country at night. The lights soon disappeared behind the clouds and I was left alone with my thoughts.

I had been thinking about this moment the entire day, supposing I would be feeling miserable for leaving. But reality was that I was incredibly excited. I could not hide my smile and my anxiety to land.

My destiny was just a couple of hours away, waiting for me.

And after all, it was not the first time I would cross Italy in search of dangerous vampires. Though this time it was not to save the love of my life from them, it was to find them to save myself. 

********************************

This was a short update since I'm working a lot in the next chapter, which I guess you know what will happen. 

Please, vote and comment for the next update!

Love, Agus