Chapter 49

Mayas POV

The door got opened and I saw him standing in front of me with a puzzled facial expression. He wasn't wearing the same outfit from earlier. He was wearing a grey shirt where his first couple of buttons were opened. He normally didn't open his shirts like that. I remembered how he liked it best having all the buttons closed. But it was late now though, so I figured he was about to undress to eventually go to sleep. 

I was panting and sweating. I had been driving like a crazy and on the way, I almost ran a dog over. I had to pull aside to talk to the dog owner and I used most of my time trying to apologize for my crazy driving. It was a middle-aged woman who got so scared that I couldn't just leave her without saying sorry. The lady was not happy with it and she kept scolding me for almost killing her precious dog. I felt so bad that I ended talking with her for over half an hour just to calm her down. When I realized that it was getting late, I had to move on. 

I just had to see James and tell him that I was sorry. He was probably feeling really bad now and maybe he was just staying home being frustrated. I wanted to fix it all and explain everything. Nothing had to be hidden anymore. I wanted James to be in my life.

'Maya' he said with a surprise in his tone.

'James I'm so sorry for snapping at you back there. I was panicking and it was all my fault. I mean... I didn't know that my parents had invited those people'

I saw how he kept letting me stand outside the house. I hoped he would at least let me inside. It was after all cold outside and I didn't have any jacket on. I forgot it at my parent's house as I was so fixed on getting here. I just stood in my saree, with all my makeup and bangles on. Every time I moved or waved my hands according to hand gestures while talking, they made sounds.

I kept rambling for a while. 'My mom just told me it was urgent. So, when I came there, I saw what it was all about and James, I'm so sorry that I made you feel neglected. I wanted to tell them about you but it's just so complicated because my culture is so different, but I love you, James. It's you I want... I just wanna...'

I stopped talking when I noticed there was someone behind him. My lips tightened and I made sure not to utter a single word anymore. This was so personal, and this was supposed to be a private conversation. I didn't want anybody else to hear about our little talk.

Maybe he was with Connor or some of his colleagues to talk things through? I straightened my neck to try and have a look behind him but he kept closing the door too close to him so I couldn't.

'Maya, I...' He ran his hand through his hair and let out a frustrated groan. He didn't look thrilled.

'James, who is it at the door?'

My whole body froze. Was that the sound of a woman's voice?

No, that couldn't be. James would never do that. Maybe it's Anna.

Then I noticed the golden locks and a small figure. It wasn't Anna. This was someone else. She came toward the door and opened it wider, so she was exposed to me. The woman who was standing behind him was wearing a short dress that left nothing much to the imagination. It was a lowcut neckline too, so her breasts were almost popping out of the dress. Her hair was a bit messy and she had a wine glass in her hand.

'Maya, it's not what you think...'

My brain wouldn't function properly anymore. Something very unpleasant was roaming around my stomach by now and I felt sick to death. Was James having this woman over in the middle of the night? Were they having...? The possibility of them doing it until I interrupted them made me so nauseous. Then I noticed how he also smelled of alcohol. Had he also been drinking?