Chapter 3

*** Asriel's view***

I woke up with a groan and blinked. I tried to move my legs, but I couldn't seem to feel them at all. At least my shoulder wasn't hurting. My shoulder! Papyrus! Oh my gosh, what happened? I was floating away, but now I'm back? I looked down and saw a lot of green. I turned my head and found myself surrounded by the flower field. I saw the entrance to the cavern a bit to my right. I tried to move, but I couldn't seem to get anything to work. I saw Sans run to the entrance of the caverns, his eye alight with worry and panic.

***A half-hour ago, 3rd person p.o.v**

Gaster was searching the rooms for any sign of Papyrus or Asriel. He goes back downstairs and pulls Sans aside.

"Sans, have you seen your brother or Asriel anywhere?" He asks in a low tone.

Sans' already large eye sockets seemed to grow even larger and his eye flared bright blue in a raindrop shaped panic.

"They're both missing?!? Are you sure?" He gasps.

Gaster nods, his own eye a darker blue in both surprise and worry. Sans turns on his heel and dashed out of the door. Gaster, Grillby, and Toriel follow shortly after. Undyne and Alphys looked at each other in worry, but they both had jobs to get back to. Sans runs as fast as he can, he seemed to be tearing his way towards the caverns. He pauses for a moment outside the entrance before rushing in.

"PAPYRUS!" He screams, collapsing beside his brother

The others run in and gasp, Toriel kneels beside the hole the stalactite had left, picking up the bit of Asriel's clothing that was caught on it. Gaster grabs Papyrus and cradles him in his arms.

"PAP! PLEASE WAKE UP!" Sans sobbed.

Toriel lets out a low howling sound that rents through the cavern. Gaster lifts Papyrus' SOUL to see the damage. He wasn't hurt, but his energy was very low. Flickers of blue dashed around the SOUL, indicating the last color magic used. Papyrus groaned and slowly blinked open his eyes.

"Ugh... A-Asriel? Did I do it?" He mumbles.

Sans gasps and sobs loudly, throwing his arms around his brother. 

"S-Sans... there was a stalactite. I-it hit Asriel. Where is he?" 

Sans looked over at the small dent in the floor and the few particles of dust that lingered on the floor and in the air. He gave a small sigh and stood suddenly. He walked over to the nearest stalagmite and stood before it for a moment before he yells and smashes his hand right through it. A dash noise is heard as his HP drops a bit from hurting his hand.

"I... I'm okay. I'm right here..." A small voice pipes up outside the entrance.

They spin around and see a sunflower with a face stood there. The sharp petals were each tipped with a blue raindrop shape. The small leaves under the face tipped up in an unmistakable shrug. The flower chuckles a little.

"I wonder how this happened. I thought you said once a monster dusts there's no coming back?" The flower asks Toriel.

Toriel makes a choking sound and steps forward a bit, looking towards Gaster. Gaster gently sets Papyrus down and approaches the flower. Using blue magic, Gaster extracts the stats menu.

_________________________________________________________

Prince Asriel

HP: 50/50

Atk: 7-22

Def: 70

SOUL: Split into five pieces to the petals in order to sustain themselves

_____________________________________________________________

Toriel wails and runs over, hugging the flower. The stats bar disappears as Papyrus also ran over to hug Asriel. Sans stands beside the smashed pillar of rock, his face a mask of shock. Tears form in his sockets as a smile tugs at the corners of his mouth.

"How is that possible?..." Grillby wondered out loud.

"It isn't, but here it is..." Gaster breathed.

They stare at each other in shocked silence before Gaster walks over to place a comforting hand on Toriel's shoulder. Grillby turns to Sans and raises a questioning brow.

"You knew they would be here didn't you? How?" He asks.

"I'll tell you later." Sans mumbles.

Gaster calls Alphys and before long she arrived with some equipment. He tells Sans to take Papyrus home after they had calmed him down enough to get the full story. He also asked Grillby to accompany them as they were still young. He happily went with them and it only took a while to get back to Snowdin. Sans tucked Papyrus in with a bedtime story, then sits at the kitchen table after grabbing his notebook.

"So... Grillbz. This is just between us right?" Sans started nervously.

Grillby nodded, his eyes growing wider with curiosity.

"So... the trouble sleeping I have? It's, um... it's because I've been having nightmares. Nightmares of the caverns. Every single time Papyrus died in some way, always alone. Except for the last few nights, when Asriel was in the caverns as well. They are always in very vivid detail. Then there was last night's..." Sans flipped through the pages until he came to a half-empty one. In Sans's loopy handwriting was a dream.

I was floating over the caverns this time. Pap and Asriel were chuckling and throwing stones. One stone hits a stalactite and it plummets towards them. Asriel looks up and sees it coming. He pushed Pap into the pool of clear water, falling over as he did so. The stalactite slams into his head hard. Blood pools around the rock for a moment before it all turns to dust. Pap crawls out after a moment, coughing up water. He can't find Asriel so he wanders around, calling his nickname. The yelling seems to set off a chain reaction. All of the stalactites start to fall, pinning him before the last one breaks through his skull.

Sans sighs and closes the book with a soft snap.

"Then this all happened. Nearly exactly as the dream, except he didn't get up and yell for Asriel. If the rock had been just a little to the left it would have killed him instantly and... and..."

Grillby makes a sympathetic muttering noise and gently pats Sans' shoulder.

"It's alright Sans. I know how you feel... sort of. My niece found out she was capable of using water magic. As you know, we're made of fire, so this power hurt her. I helped her control it and bend it in a way it wouldn't hurt her. I can help you with this power as well Sans. It doesn't have to hurt you with nightmares every night." Grillby smiles and Sans returns it shyly.

"Thanks, Grillbz. It's a relief to know you've got my back" He mumbles.

They talk a while more before Sans falls asleep right at the table. Grillby chuckles and carries him upstairs. Grillby tucks the blanket around Sans and pats his head.

"It'll be alright Sans. You don't have to worry about the nightmares anymore." He slips a hand into his pocket.

He slips a small pill in between Sans' teeth and lets it dissolve. Then he turns away, leaving Sans to a dreamless slumber.