Chapter 16

"Sans..." Undyne mumbles.

"Nooo, Undyne! I don't want ta go out right nooow..." Slurred speech issued from my mouth, I wasn't really sure if it was my own.

Now, Strawberry Liquor isn't strong stuff, but not having proper organs, or in fact, any organs at all made it really strong for a skeleton. For a normal monster, it would taste like semi-thick, carbonated, strawberry-flavored water with a bit of a buzz, but for me? Well, it was a nice drunk black-out to last at least a few hours. If Grillby knew how this affected me he would never let me get my hands on this stuff. Oh... Grillby... I take another swig.

Undyne stalks over and rips the bottle from my hand. I only mumble out a weak protest. She glares at me and I partly wake up from my stupor.

"So what happened, Sans?!? You disappeared on my guards and they find you an hour later passed out and wearing Grillby's jacket. You gave me no answers when you woke up and only went to your house to grab a drink! Talk to me!" She shakes my shoulders and my eyelights reluctantly focus.

"Grillbz broke iz promise. Simmmple as tha..." I slur heavily now.

My brain is fuzzy. A tiny flutter and suddenly the drunk stupor lifts entirely and reality comes crashing down with the force of stalactites.

"He promised he wouldn't leave, Undyne... I... I could have prevented this... If... heh, this is harder than I thought... I h-have the ability to g-glimpse the future! It works best when I sleep, but I've been taking pills from Grillby which help me not dream... Uhm... that's how I knew about Pap... and dad... and A-Asgore..." I trail into silence as her face turns to one of shock.

"You... You what?!?" She yelps.

"Asgore knew... dad told him." I mumble to my knees.

She raises a brow at me and raises a trembling hand. Taking a step closer she lifts my chin to see my eyelights clearly. They hold no trace of the fogginess they held just seconds before. She seems to find no trace of a lie in them because she steps back and pours the rest of the pink liquid down the drain. A muted cry escapes my teeth, but I make no move to stop her. She holds out a hand to me after putting the empty bottle on the counter and I took it. She brought me back to the castle. I had to take a "lie detector" test administered by Alphys because everyone wanted to know I had no hand in the fire man's death. I was disappointed of course, but there wasn't a trace of any lying from me so I was cleared.

After that I stopped taking my pills. I wanted to miss no sign of the next disappearance. This time I wanted to get there on time. I had to see this killer myself. I had to stop them. For my sake as well as those left in the ever shrinking kingdom.

So long without a stirring from the magic behind my eye. Except for the weird moments where I could swear there was another presence in the otherwise empty rooms. Of course, they were always empty. The strange flutterings and rustlings never really died down. Even when I slept I heard the fluttering sound. No dreams plagued me and that was the strangest part. All the while, Undyne put me through rough training every day. She pulled her attacks of course, but I was getting better all the same.

The nights seemed longer without dreams. Not even during the day did I get anything. The silence was unnerving to say the least. My only comforts were Undyne and my drinks now. The days passed in a training blur and the nights were quiet.

***

No major incidents happened in the next two blurry years, but there was the constant feeling of being watched. 

A Rainfall... Three months before my birthday. The wind picked up, blowing the raindrops across an empty field. It shouldn't be empty... where was everyone? The sound of the raindrops was muffled without the chorus of barrels filling and uplifting music. The raindrops were... wrong. Landing on my hand, they were thick and red. Blood...

Waking in a cold sweat was nothing new, but the dark figure in my face was. I cry out, my fist flying in a blurry arc and connecting with skin. I hear a yelp and a lot of stumbling in the dark room. The light blazes to life and I see Undyne with blood on her cheek. She leaps up and hugs me tightly.

"Sans, you scared me! That punch sure was better though! You okay? You were having a pretty bad nightmare. I, uh, I had to break your door..." She gestured at the pieces of door scattered around.

Struggling to sit up was difficult. It seemed as if my bones were no longer under my command. Blinking slowly brought the room into focus, but the edges were still blurry. I wonder if this is another dream? My magic sparks in my left eye as I focus on the healing cut on Undyne's cheek. Phased reality... Where did that come from? The voice echoes dimly in my head. Phased reality, phased reality. Over and over again before the scene fell away.

The Rainfall field... Crumbling mountains... A purple book, the emblazoned gold sun shimmering brightly on the cover. Stark black eyes dripping corruption and silver fangs flashing in the jagged maw. A rasping voice crying out in rage.

Waking up again and again finding Undyne hovering above me, shaking me to the waking world. Turquoise tears dripping down my face as I hug her once more. 'Phased reality...' 

Oh come on.

I... I know what I have to do...

I... I don't know if I can...

Oh, Papyrus...

Help me?

(A/N: Oh, yikes! Sorry about the unannounced hiatus peeps! I got a lot of drawing stuff and totally forgot about Wattpad for a while. Drunk Drop is fun to write :p What is the weird fluttering? Will we find out? See you in the next chapter!)