Chapter 14

It took much longer to get to sleep tonight. Even with the pills, I was still seeing that thing in the corner of my sockets when I felt it safe to turn away. Its smell of spilled blood and rotting flesh kept hitting me, sending goosebumps all along my bones. Eventually, though I fell asleep with a thankfully dreamless stupor.

*** five months later***

Another Rainfall has arrived. I don't know why, but I felt as if I should really go to this one, even if it would cause painful nostalgia. I wanted to see the colors again. I gathered the rain barrels outside with blue magic and helped Doggo with his. Daliah, unfortunately, had disappeared shortly after the... incident, with my head. The turtle/bird hybrids had also gone. These killings were getting... sloppier in my opinion. Where the killer used to be so careful to leave no trace, there were more often than not long gashes in the houses of those taken. Always three scratches in first vertical then horizontal ways. Three crosses... no one could figure out what they meant. I was nearly always at the lab when I wasn't working nowadays but Alphys and I were no closer to a solution.

The Rainfall... it's so beautiful. I've missed it twice now. I head out toward the very center of the field after leaving the barrels out by the edge. I sit and tilt my head up. Twenty minutes later it started. Water noise was all around. The magic film covered my sockets and a satisfied sigh left my teeth. This... this was perfect. Rainbows all around... A little bit of light magic made the rainbows complete. Glancing around, only Doggo, Valentine Alphys, Undyne, and I were there for the start this time. Alphys told me that less and less monsters were coming every time. Everyone was scared.

I fell asleep to the sound of raindrops...

I was floating... yeah, floating. There was this great golden hall of sorts. Asgore stood with a golden weapon in hand. He was panting heavily and had a dribble of blood going down his chin. A great slash went across his chest and his left hand was completely gone. A hooded figure stood above him and it too was breathing hard.

"You fight well, FALSE KING..." The figure snarled, hand brushing off the trident-like weapon it held.

"What do you want with this kingdom? With me?" Asgore pants.

"Heh heh heh... I want NOTHING from this kingdom. It's the $^r(4c3 I want." It laughed, its speech glitching out.

"I have one... request" Asgore gasps.

"Oh? ... Name it. Master would prefer you alive, but he won't mind you dead, so be reasonable."

"I want... to name... my successor... before you kill me."

"Hmm... Write a note. We need to leave now. He waits impatiently."

Asgore wrote a long note and the figure was growing annoyed. It went over to the wall and shook up its right sleeve to reveal four long claws. It bent the claw a bit and raised its arm to slash the wall beside a pillar. Three claws vertical, three claws horizontal.

"Time's up!" It charged Asgore and pierced his SOUL with the deadly trident.

Asgore gasps and clutches at the weapon, falling to his knees. He looks up, his blue eyes showing so much emotion. Blue magic encases the SOUL and crushes it until it too turns into dust.

I wake up gasping, the raindrops falling steadily. I look around, confused for a moment before leaping to my feet. Alphys! Where is she? A moment of panic as I realized she had already left. I run to Undyne and bowl her over when I slip on the slick grass.

"UNDYNE! YOU NEED TO FIND ASGORE NOW!" I yell over the raindrops.

Panic flares in her face as she sees how desperate I look. She grabs my hand and pulls me off to the castle.

***

No... no... this can't be... The throne room was empty, but in a door to the right I saw the golden hall. Entering brought to my eyes the exact scene I was hoping not to see. Blood adorned the floor and walls and dust thinly coated the floor. Undyne gasped and made incomprehensible choking noises behind me. A letter fluttered to the floor and Undyne grabs it. I walk over to the wall and run my hand along the sharply peeled wood that made up the three crosses.

"Sans... You're... You're not gonna believe this..." Undyne stutters.

Since when did Undyne stutter? I walk over, my curiosity peaked. She hands me the letter with a shaking hand and I read Asgore's thin writing.

__________________________________________________________

To whom it may concern,

I know who my attacker was and what they want. After this, 

he will kill me, but do not fret. I am allowed to write this in 

order to name my successor to the throne. I hope he will be 

able to unmask the true force behind my attacker, 

for he is not responsible. I was told a long time ago that this 

was the right move and now I couldn't agree more. Sans, I know 

this will reach you. You are my successor. Use the resources this 

comes with wisely. The lab, Undyne's training, and the trust of your 

subjects shall be powerful tools in your arsenal. I wish you 

all well, and the best of luck to you, Sans

-Sincerely, His Former Majesty, Asgore

__________________________________________________________

The paper falls from my hand. Asgore wasn't behind the attacks after all and he had been the next victim. Could I have prevented this too? If I just slept normally would I have been able to save him? Undyne is staring at me... My eyes have gone blank. I could have stopped this... Me, a king? I... I'm not ready for this!

Magic tears brimming in my eyes, I turn and run. Run from my responsibilities. Run from my life itself. Though I should know by now... You can't run forever, especially in a locked cage.