Chapter 5

Sans' view:

I asked Papyrus for a copy of every puzzle he had, which he happily gave me. His hobby is making and solving puzzles. I have an idea. In order to force my brain to behave, I'll physically and mentally exhaust myself. I've already made a list of things I can do around the yard. In the night while Pap's snores filled the house, I sat awake doing multiple puzzles at once. I had the color cube in one hand, a number puzzle in from of me, and a riddle on a page to the side. I could feel my eye sockets trying to droop closed, but I was going to force myself to stay awake all night if I had to. The glowing clock beside my bed read 4:37 and dad had only just stumbled into the house an hour and a half ago. I have no idea what he does at the lab, but he's obviously overworking himself. An hour later, I completed the last few turns of the cube, fill in the numbers, and write the riddle's answer before standing up. My "brain" feels like a wrung-out sponge by now. and my sockets are refusing to stay open. I stumble into bed and sigh. I'll have to do the actual work tomorrow night.

9 o clock I woke up this morning and get up quickly. My bones were telling me I hadn't gotten nearly enough sleep, but I had to ignore them because so far it had worked! I hadn't had a single glimpse of a night terror last night. I head downstairs and find that dad or Papyrus had already made breakfast. A bowl of instant oats waited at my spot on the table. I sit with a yawn and rush through breakfast. Afterward, I flick my hand at the dish so it would wash and dash outside. I find that dad has gone back to work while a note on the door told me that Pap had gone to hang out with Flowey. I sigh in annoyance and glance around the living room nervously. I hate being left alone. Despite being quite mature, I just can't stand silence in any situation. I walk around the house to the small garden out the back. It's really quite stunning that dad was able to make anything grow through the snow. My left eye glows brown as a small popping noise catches my attention. A colony of flicker-fires had taken refuge under a wide leafed Ebony plant. I grin as their conversation is translated through my animal magic.

"Pfft! You're joking! A talking flower? A ludicrous idea!" One spat out.

"I am not joking! It's all true. A flower of five petals moves through the ground now. It seems to teleport! Sarka, you believe me right?" The smallest of the group trembles and pops.

Flicker-fires are strange creatures. They look like a small ball of flame with chared-looking legs and arms, both very small. They talk in squeaks and pops, just like the noises a normal fire would make. Only the Fire People like Grillby or people who use animal magic can understand them. I kneel down and pick up the largest one, the one who had spat at the smallest. I felt the tongues of fire spreading on my fingers briefly before I dropped it into a small jar. The black burns linger on my hand as I fasten the lid with prefixed holes onto the jar.

"Calm down there buddy. It's true. His name's... *snort* Flowey. Funnily enough. Hey, I don't suppose you'd mind lighting my way tonight would ya?" I ask, not required to translate to their language.

The Flicker-fire spits angrily at me that translated to a long string of cuss words.

"Great! Knew you'd like to help. Heya, I'll just borrow your friend for a couple of hours. Sans promise I'll bring him back, okay?" I address the Flicker-fires at my feet.

They nod and I bring the little jar up to my room, where I then strap it to a headband I had made a few nights previously. I go back downstairs and glance at the couch. It... actually looked pretty comfy right now. Man, I need some sleep. Just a few... minutes. *yawn* I flop on the couch and fall asleep nearly instantly.

"SANS! WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING UP THERE?!?" 

I jolt awake with a yelp which quickly turns into a cry of alarm as I realize that I am hovering about two feet above the couch. I fall with a soft "poff" onto the couch. I groan and look up at Pap with a sheepish grin.

"Well, bro... it's pretty obvious that I was just hanging around the house all day." I snigger a bit into my hand as his face contorts into an angered expression.

"Sans! This is no time for stupid puns. Now tell me how you were floating or we are going right to dad with this." He snarls.

My sockets widen as he growls at me and I put my hands up in surrender. Bad day much?

"I don't know bro... I think I might have been using blue magic on myself without meaning to. Yeah... I think that's it." I say as I try and start to float again.

Weird though... It doesn't have quite the same strain it takes to use blue magic. Just a warm tingling feeling like the one I get when I use something simple like brown magic.

"So... How was your day?" I ask tentatively as I land again.

"It was perfectly fine. I'm going up to my room. Don't you dare disturb me there Sans." He spits, turning on his heel.

I sit there stunned for a moment as he stomps up the stairs. He's never spoken to me like that... Did I do something wrong? No... something must have happened when he was out. What was my dream about...? Something about a spinning color wheel. It spun faster and faster until it became a solid black eye with this strange black stuff dripping from it. I shiver. The time was currently 12:45. I had slept for nearly two hours. I make a quick lunch and set a plate beside Papyrus' door before going back downstairs to eat my own.