Chapter 18

It wasn't long before the air cleared and the suffocating darkness dissipated. The surroundings did nothing to ease my confusion however. Stone chunks scattered the floor and a giant stone door was standing tall within the mountain. Etched with symbols, they flashed darkly. An hourglass, a knife, and a raindrop stood out as they flashed the darkest. 

"It's~ impress~ive, no?" The voice made me flinch violently and I whirled to face it.

The gold crown and red stones glinted, hovering above the curled horns. I back away until my spine nearly touches the door and he watches with that crooked smile.

"What do you want from me?" The fear makes my voice crack slightly, the tears still threatening to fall.

"Why, I want what any king s~hould. Power, s~ubjects~, loyalty. You and I could have it all if you are willing."

I step back, skull reeling. What was he suggesting? Dread and determination are my companions as my spine hits the door.

He steps closer, holding out the purple book.

"You have hated s~ilence from the beginning. You could join me. Become my loyal s~ubject and I will take you to the s~urface world. We would rule over the humans~. Does~n't that s~ound wonderful? You could even have your brother's~ S~OUL that you des~ire s~o." His silver fangs drip and my mind goes into overdrive.

Humans? Surface world? My brother's SOUL?!? What did it all mean?

"What's the c-catch?" I hated that stutter, that moment of weakness.

"Only that you are loyal to me only. Nothing els~e. Either that or s~tay here. Be alone forever. S~uccumb to the s~ilent ins~anity."

My head was the clearest it had been in years without the influence of Grillby's drugs. My powers felt enhanced after being deprived of them for so long. I saw his plans for the surface that had shunned him, tried to kill him. His twisted idea of revenge. Slavery and death all around. And me, his tool of revenge. Wreaking fiery vengeance on those who disobeyed him. The terrified figures worshiping this deer creature like a god.

I hated every second of it. But... he had my brother's SOUL. He said he would give it to me. I... I could have my brother back. I could give him an artificial body and we could be together again.

"I-"

"You need to s~ee proof?" He interrupted.

His large purple wings snapped open. Each had a blood-red eye positioned near the clawed end. A black cape of the strangest material unfurled down his back and followed the wings' action. There, to his left near the top of the cape, glowed a yellow SOUL. It was his. The name flashing rapidly as it struggled to escape.

"It's~ a piece of void S~ans~. A powerful place that I s~tayed in for years~ after the attack. The cape connects~ me to all of them. Their power is mine. S~o... what'll it be S~ans~?"