Chapter 10

I know why dad appreciated having Alphys as an assistant now. Not only had she noticed the suspicious lack of footprints, but she had categorized every creature of the Underground that had any semblance of flight or levitational abilities and cross-referenced them to those who had a tie to Gaster. The most plausible suspect was an old bird/turtle hybrid called Carmara. We rechecked the list together and crossed out a few that I knew I had seen at the Rainfall. She had decided to accompany me to the Lava River where Carmara lived. When we got there I gave a small, slightly nervous knock on the door. A small feathery face poked out and the rustling of a feather tail dragging the floor was heard behind the oak.

"Hey there... we're looking for Carmara?" I stutter, having not expected this young bird to not be at the Rainfall.

Actually... huh, I'm not at the Rainfall. The door opens the a bit more so we can see some older hybrids standing beside this one. The girl had a strange look, almost as if she couldn't believe her ears. She hisses, giving us a scornful look.

"Carmara, you say? Dead. Died weeks ago. How you are unaware of this is beyond comprehension. *snarl* Good day to you!" She slammed the door in our faces.

"S-sans! Don't d-do anything. They're Anilac, th-they always have a te-temper." Alphy grabs my arm before I can charge the door.

My emotions are running high and at that moment I would like nothing better than to pick a fight. I sigh and gently pull away from her.

*** One month later***

The search was fruitless. All of the monsters who were not at the Rainfall had an alibi. The blood on dad's scarf gave no illumination to the mystery either. It just seemed to be entirely pointless. There was one light in this dismal situation however. Undyne, no doubt noticing the upswing of vigor and determination in him, made Papyrus an "Honorary Royal Guard" as she had called it. He now had a dark purple scarf with the blue raindrop triangle near the slightly tattered end. He went to train nearly every day with Undyne. It was worrying just how many bruises and small cuts he came home with every time. Eventually, Papyrus became ever colder. He started to ignore me and just rushed from the home whenever I tried to corner him in the morning. He left earlier and came home later day after day. True, my attitude on matters wasn't helping. I had no job, no desire to train with Undyne, or any real reason to want either. Every time I looked at Papyrus I had a stabbing vision of him dying a horrible death and I couldn't honestly bear to see it more often than I did already. It seemed as if the night terrors would torment me when I wake if they can't have me while I slept. All I wanted was a bit of peace.

***

In the two years that followed, every Rainfall was marked with at least two disappearances. Monsters started showing up in only their tight knit species groups if they came at all. Papyrus grew ever more cold and distant. Flowey had disappeared during the Rainfall three months before our fourth birthday and he hasn't been the same since. I sigh, my head in my hands as I sat on the couch. Papyrus opens the door and stalks past, not even questioning why I was awake so late. His arms are covered in deeper scratches than ever and dark purple bruises from a particularly rough training session. I stand quickly.

"Papyrus" I say sternly.

He ignores me so on instinct I grab his arm.

"Let go Sans. I am sore." He growls. 

"Pap, liste-!" I'm cut off by a sharp slap that knocks me to the floor.

I look up at Papyrus, my cheek stinging and my emotions flaring.

"No, Sans! You listen! I'm doing all of the work around here! I'm pulling the entire load and I'm sick of it! I'm sick and tired of you staying around the house all day and mope while I am doing work that actually matters! Realize this, "brother", dad is gone and no amount of crying about "nightmares" will bring him back. Pull yourself together Sans or I will do something about. And one more thing, touch me again and I will snap your arm. I don't care about your one HP." He spits, turns on his heel, and stomps off.

Magic tears sting my eyes and I sniff. The money I had made at Grillby's in tips that day fell out of my other hand and rolled under the couch.

***

I wake up gasping. That incident had never happened? It felt so real... but then again, my night terrors always do. I get out of bed with a sigh and knock on Pap's door. He had wanted to stay in bed almost as much as I did after Flowey had disappeared. He always gets up and rushes around to get ready when I knock though. He buries his sadness in his feeling of protectiveness to me and his extreme amounts of Determination to not be knocked down. He opens the door and gives me the usual "Howdy!" before pulling me downstairs to make breakfast with him. He has become quite adept at a dish he likes to call "Chilli Mac" which I always joke about whenever there's a blizzard outside. A plate placed beside my head, which was resting on the table, and he pats my head before sitting at his spot. Which for some reason was all the way on the far side of the table meant for eight. I smile tiredly at him and take a bite. The sauce was a little overdone and the noodles a little bland, but who am I to critique? I finish and do the dishes while Pap goes into the next room to change. He gives me a strong-armed hug once I'm done and heads to the door with a happy look on his face. He turns on his heel at the door.

"Good luck today Sans. And get a move on lazybones or you'll be late!" He waves good-naturedly before softly closing the door behind him.

Oh geez! He's right! I grab a dark purple bag off the back of the couch and sprint out the door after drying my hands. Grillby was kind enough to offer me a job last year and I have still not managed to be exactly on time. Sure, I was only ever a few seconds to two minutes late, but it caused an eye-roll from the fire monster. I had quickly became the favorite of the town. My quick jokes and even quicker service tickled everyone's funny bone. Pfft! That was a good one. I mentally pat myself on the back as I go through the stained glass door getting yet another eye-roll as I was a minute and fifteen seconds late this time. I change into the green uniform and take the steps to open shop before leaning back to wait.