1

He looked down from over the balustrade, only to lean back again with a sigh when he saw her wandering the empty hallways again.

If he had known that when he had told her to "remain if you so choose, but know that We will not acknowledge your presence" she would do just that, he might have minded his choice of words a bit more at the time.

Perhaps she had expected him to not stay true to his word? She certainly looked more at a loss the longer time stretched on in the separated realm where they found themselves. He didn't know how long it had been since she arrived, and he knew she didn't either, but apparently it was long enough that she had even attempted conversation with one of the Retainers. Which, if she really was what she claimed to be, she should have known was futile.

She had probably overestimated her capacity to be truly alone. And, with how relatively fast she was cracking, he figured she wasn't used to it at all.

He couldn't remember ever feeling that way.

He didn't rightfully care about her, of course. At this point, she was at best unnoticed, and at worst a nuisance. Part of him wanted to let her sanity rot away in solitude, solely to see what she would turn to in order to cope, or how long she could last until she left. But he had never been a cruel creature, despite what some may think.

He wasn't entirely sure what prompted him to start walking down the stairs leading towards her. He figured it was either curiosity or pity, but he cut himself off before his mind could wander too much. After all, if there was going to be a... visitor in his palace, she might as well do something of use.

The library had been dormant long enough, he figured.

He didn't make a sound as he moved, but still she turned around the moment he rounded the corner. He was left to wonder if it was due to the change in the lighting that his presence caused or perhaps something else.

He hadn't properly looked at her up close ever since she arrived, and he was surprised to see she had expanded her wardrobe, and her new garments fit right into the Pale Court's dress code. He didn't know if that dress had once belonged to someone else or if she had made it from some large enough piece of fabric she had found laying around.

It mattered little, though.

She wasted no time in bowing to the waist.

"My King".

He wished he could understand why she was doing this. If she really respected him as an authority like she claimed, then she would have never even entered the palace grounds. And yet here she was, willingly kidnapping herself from the world of the living and offering her services to a being that neither wanted them nor was king to any kingdom anymore.

"What are you doing?", he whispered. He needed not to raise his voice, for his words were as absolute as his presence.

"Ah- I was merely admiring the flowers, your highness. It seems to be the very vines and roots that are holding the structure of the palace together".

He almost imperceptibly lowered his head at that. He regretted asking.

He turned around. "Follow". And started walking without looking back.

-

She took the opportunity to admire his wings. She had barely gotten the chance to look at him at all, but his wings were even harder to catch a glimpse of. The way his natural Light reflected off them made them look even more beautiful and ethereal. If she didn't know any better she would doubt they were even functional, given how fragile they looked. But she was well aware that not only could they carry their bearer effortlessly, but also their edges were sharp as blades, and useful against anyone that thought attacking the King's back was a good idea.

She followed him through bright hallways and white gardens that, although repetitive, were as beautiful as the last. She could never get tired of staring. And yet, none of them held a candle to him.

After going down some stairs, she found herself in front of a great door frame covered, like some other furniture, by a thick white sheet. He grabbed it and sharply tore it down, revealing a long corridor covered with as much dust as the sheet had been. Luckily, some of the Retainers immediately got to wiping the floors without a word, and after a couple of minutes of watching them work they could both walk through without dirtying the ends of their robes.

The deeper they got, the more obvious it was this place was a study of some sort. Many bookshelves, most of them empty, lined at the walls, and two massive desks sat in the middle of the room, each surrounded by six chairs.

"The library is yours, if you want it", she was almost startled by the soft voice. He had stayed by the door. "We certainly have no use for it anymore. There is not much to read, but you should find some writing materials in one of the drawers".

She looked at him, slightly taken aback, before walking to one of the desks and opening up the three drawers at its side. Indeed, she found not only three completely blank journals, but also a good amount of sharpened charcoal pieces. She took them out, curiously observing their covers. The decorations fitted the theme of the rest of the kingdom's, with different carapace-like designs and some adorning vines around them. The three of them had Hallownest's seal in the center, with its crown and six wings embroidered in a brighter shade of grey than the rest.

"Thank you, your majesty" she said, but when she looked up again he had already left.