11

Everything seemed to still with him. When the siblings spotted him they stopped walking as well, but due to the nature of their faces she couldn't tell what they were feeling. The only one that kept moving was the little ghost, who didn't stop walking until they reached the entrance of the garden. They were looking at the King.

He, however, didn't return their stare. His gaze hadn't yet left the Pure Vessel. They were both completely frozen in place, apparently not knowing what to do.

The silence stretched on. None of them moved a muscle, and she was almost scared of breathing too hard. She felt like an intruder.

And then the Pure Vessel resumed their walking, noticeably making an effort to keep their back straight.

Hornet was quick to follow them, her steps the only thing that could be heard in the hallway (was the Hollow Knight even touching the floor? They made absolutely no noise against the hard marble). The little ghost turned to look at their sibling and stepped aside, making room for them.

The King hadn't left his defensive pose, and whether this was because he couldn't move from his shock or because he still feared being attacked was left to her imagination.

In order to not break eye contact, his head had to slowly turn upward as they approached. When they were only a couple of steps away, they stopped, still looking at him, and they took a knee, lowering their head to their father.

He didn't move at first. He was still giving his back to her, but she was sure his face only reflected shock.

Everyone in the room held their breath, waiting for him to react. The Pure Vessel's siblings looked ready to draw their weapons at the smallest sign of danger to them, and she was ready to step in as well in case of confrontation. Although she really hoped it wouldn't come to that, because she was sure she would take more than one hit, given how she had next to no aptitudes in battle.

He still managed to shock everyone, though, when he crossed the distance between them in a couple of large strides and lightly wrapped his arms around their neck.

The Hollow Knight couldn't have looked more alarmed if they had actually had a way to emote. After a moment of hesitance, they relaxed into his form and wrapped their own lone arm around his back, burying their face in his shoulder.

A wave of relief washed over her, and she even felt touched when she saw his grip on them tighten slightly at this. She exchanged a look with Hornet, who still looked somewhat on edge. The way her eyes sharpened when their gazes met let her know that she wouldn't comply quite as well as her sibling.

When the King finally let go of his knight, he took a small step back, and shakily told them "Stand up, my child. I'm the one who should kneel to you, begging your forgiveness".

They looked stumped for a second, but of course they stood up. They had probably taken it as an order.

Hornet looked like she was trying really hard not to point her needle at him when she blurted "How are you alive?", with a tense voice that betrayed her barely constrained anger.

His voice still small, "...not by my own choice, that I can assure you".

She didn't look satisfied with the answer in the slightest, but her frustration and rage were quickly diminishing her patience. The spider sharply turned to look at her, her voice booming in comparison to the normally peaceful quiet of the palace.

"And you, why are you here? Why did you not tell us about this? Has my sibling made a mistake in trusting you!?"

She flinched. She knew the weaver was right, but she also knew that right now wasn't about her.

"I'll explain everything, to all of you. But perhaps right now is not the best time".

"Yes, there's no rush for that" the King intervened. "In fact, I believe the Gendered Child might be a better fit to tell the complete story. So, if she would allow it, I would like to catch up with her".

It looked like she wouldn't, though, because her expression turned even angrier at this. So much so that she actually took a hold of her needle, clearly gripping it with an unnecessary strength. Even if it was probably more of a comfort than a threat, it certainly added a sharper edge to her words.

"Catch up? One cannot catch up with someone they've never talked to before, Wyrm. I owe you nothing. I owe you less than nothing. How long have you been wasting away by yourself in the damnable comfort of this realm, while I had to wander alone the becoming ruins of both yours and my mother's kingdoms since I was a child? You have never done anything for me, or even to acknowledge my existence. Not even when I had to live in your palace did you bother to speak to me. And of course you wouldn't know that I was given a name during my training in the Hive. I "-she pointed her needle at him-" am Hornet, child of three queens, and no king. I have no father. I've never had, and don't intend on starting now".

Even if her words weren't directed at her, she still flinched. She knew the King would be hurt, but none of what she had said was a lie. He would have to face the truth eventually, anyway. And as much as she wanted to protect him from the pain this situation was clearly causing him, she couldn't undo his mistakes. Or anyone, for that matter. He would have to learn to live with them.

After some painful moments of silence,

"I understand, and I will not attempt to be in your life if you don't want me to. But I would like for you to explain what happened to the... to your sibling, and how it- how they left the Temple and are here now. I ask you since they can't do so themselves".

Hornet seemed to hesitate for a couple of seconds, before resting the tip of her needle against the floor with a sort of set resolve.

"I will only if they want me to".

Everyone's eyes turned to look at the tallest of the siblings, who, despite not moving, managed to look uncomfortable at the sudden attention. They took a moment to regard the King and turned their head to Hornet, before nodding quickly.

"Alright, then" she sighed, finally putting her needle away. She looked tired. "Let us find some place to sit down; it's a long story".