-3-

Silver groaned, barely landing and stumbling against the wall where he slid down to the ground. He looked up, struggling to keep his eyes open as the crowd surged over to him, cheering and shouting praises.

"Are you okay?"

"That was awesome!"

"You held all those buildings up! You're my hero! MY HERO!"

"Did she hurt you?"

"I...I have a headache," Silver mumbled, forcing himself to his feet and stumbling away from the crowd. He tried to put a wall between them, but all it did was shimmer in the air for a moment then fall.

"He's hurt!" someone called.

"Do you need help?"

"Can the doctors help you?"

"Just leave me alone!" he shouted, lifting a hand. They silenced and he was left to limp home in peace.

~

Silver stared at himself in the mirror. For four years, he'd been protecting this world. For two years, he'd been protecting this city from (Y/n).

But why? (Y/n) had come out of nowhere, simply talking of revenge and hatred for him. He had no idea who she was, probably never met her before, even before he'd traveled through time.

He needed to figure out why she hated him, so that this would end. It had to. Today was a clear indication. She could tear the whole city down and he wouldn't be able to hold it.

"I need to know who you are," he whispered, running a hand through his quills. "And then we can end this."

~

Silver saw (Y/n) on to street the next day. He didn't miss her pick pocketing someone with her telekinesis, to which he pick pocketed her with his telekinesis and returned it back to the former owner without incident. The villain noticed her missing loot, however, and spotted Silver in the crowd, narrowing her eyes.

"Hey, (Random name)!" she suddenly called, waving behind the hero. Silver turned his head and saw a female Mobian behind him. She was a blushing and looking away. "I've noticed Silver here has an eye for you!"

"R-really?" (R/n) murmured, one of her ears twitching.

"What?" Silver exclaimed. He didn't want to be rude, but he did not have an interest in her. (Y/n) seemed to know this.

"Of course," the (a/t) said. "I've seen the way you steal glances at her. I've been waiting for you two to finally notice each other. Go on, Silver." She nodded at (R/n) who was a blushing mess.

"I'm sorry, but I'm pretty busy," Silver said, picking up a pebble with his telekinesis and whacking the (a/t) with it. She yelped and rubbed where he'd hit. "Making a relationship would be difficult." He reached forward and grabbed (R/n)'s hand. He gently pressed his lips to it. "Though it was a pleasure to meet you. I hope to see you around."

"Y-yeah," (R/n) breathed, starstruck. Silver released her hand and gently stepped away. "Uh, yeah, see you later."

"Smooth," (Y/n) said, still rubbing her head as they walked away. "And I mean that. I wasn't quite sure how you'd get out of that one."

"Neither was I," Silver said, rubbing behind his neck. "You are a jerk, by the way."

"That's what villains do." She punched his arm in a friendly manner, putting her arm around his shoulder. "I was heading out to get some lunch. You want in?"

"I'm tired," Silver said slowly.

"Oh, is the poor baby still tired from yesterday?" He glared at her. "Are you? Ha! I worked you!"

"Thank you for that," he said.

"That's what I'm here for. Also, I really wanted that bracelet. Clashes with my eyes."

"Since when were you into fashion?"

"Excuse me? My battle uniform is on point. You don't even wear pants." Silver's cheeks tinted red in embarrassment.

"I have my reasons," he said defensively. She snorted. "Y-you wouldn't understand."

"Mmmm, I'm a telekinetic too. You afraid they'll fall off? Maybe get a size smaller, buddy." Silver flattened his ears, more color flowing to his cheeks. "Aww, you're so cute when you blush!"

"Stop," he hissed. "I don't want to go to lunch with you, and I just want you to shut up and leave me alone."

"But what kind of villain would I be if I just walked away?" She persistently nudged him. "Makes me wonder how someone so precious can hold up a city." She smirked as his temper slowly declined. "Okay, fine. My destination is on the left, so if you don't mind." She flashed her foot out and leaped over his falling body. He barely got a squeak out before he faceplanted.

"I hate you," he mumbled, but she was already gone. "So much." Then he pushed himself up and flew off to avoid any sympathetic onlookers.

~

"Ah, a day of embarrassing Silver is a good day." (Y/n) sat at her table and waited for her order to be taken. Honestly, she was kind of disappointed he didn't go with her.

Though she was his nemesis, he really was cute. Almost too innocent looking to be such a powerful hero. The (a/t) sighed, staring at her hands. What if she hadn't been so stupid? What if she'd simply left it alone instead of trying to be like him? She had a feeling they could have been friends.

"It is what it is," she murmured as her server approached. She placed her order and relaxed at her table. "And I'm fine with that." And with that thought in mind, she happily dug into her meal and put her worries away.