Hermione- Chapter 1

"Hermione!" Harry calls happily. 

I turn around and run into his arms, needing his embrace so much. 

"I missed you," he says as he pulls away, blinking at me from behind his glasses.

"I missed you too," I replied, smiling. 

"Mione!" Ron called from just behind him, hugging me and kissing my cheek. 

I try to smile, but there is something missing, I can feel it. Ron and I are still dating, but we don't seem to have that spark anymore. Still, I ignore it, and try to be happy, or at least look like I am.

We board the train with Ginny and Luna, who will now be in the same year as us, seeing as we missed a year last year. I despise being behind, but I don't think I missed much. After all, how much can a bunch of Death Eaters teach children?

Neville sits with us on the train, having decided to repeat the year with us again. I smile at him, and he gives me a small smile back. Out of all of us, the war has taken its toll on Neville the most. He was the one who was the most reluctant to kill, but had to anyway. But still he carries on, just as we all must.

I still can't quite believe that the war happened, and Voldemort is gone. We made it out alive. Not unharmed, but alive. 

We all chatter for a while, and Harry starts to talk about a new project at Hogwarts. 

"It's called the Baby Project," he says. 

"Is that a metaphor or something?" Ginny asks uncertainly. 

Harry shrugs. "I don't know, McGonagall only mentioned it briefly in one of her letters."

I smile, thinking of how, despite the chaos, Harry has finally found a mother figure to call his own. No one can Replace Lily, of course, but McGonagall really cares about Harry, just as if he were her own child. It works out well actually, seeing as she's never had children. 

"I'm going to get changed," I say, getting up to leave and gathering my robes under my arm.

"Ok Mione, me too!" Ginny says cheerfully, and gets up to join me. 

Together, we walk down the familiar halls of the Hogwarts Express, taking in our surroundings. I glance in to the Slytherin carriage, where I see Draco sitting by himself. I frown. That's odd, he's usually surrounded by his cronies. It seems that they haven't returned for their final year. I am tempted to go in, although I have no idea why, but I resist the urge, and carry on walking.

Later, we are sitting in the Great Hall, and I glance over at the Slytherin table, just for a second. Again, Draco is sitting by himself. He is looking down, and doesn't look up even when McGonagall speaks. 

"Welcome back, students," she starts, and the chatter immediately dies down. "I am extremely happy to have you all back at Hogwarts. I will let you get on with the feast soon, but I would like to ask all the 7th year students to remain behind please."

There are whispers all around, as people speculate what it could be about. McGonagall holds up a hand, and the sorting ceremony commences. I barely pay attention, as I am too busy looking at Draco. He doesn't eat anything, and he doesn't once look up from his empty plate. Everyone around him seems to ignore him. He looks almost... sad.

After the other years clear out, I realise that Cho has also stayed behind too. She is a year above us, why is she repeating the year again? Our eyes lock, and I try not to seem surprised that she is still here. She smiles at me tentatively, and I return her smile warmly. 

McGonagall clears her throat. 

"No doubt you're all wondering what this is about, and I can tell you now that there is a new class being introduced for you all." Her eyes sweep the room, taking in our dubious expressions. "The Baby Project." 

There are some murmurs, but everybody quietens down as she continues. 

"You will be paired up with someone from a different house, and will look after a baby for the next few months. Not a real baby, of course, that would  be inappropriate."

There are some giggles.

"You will each have a strand of hair taken and it will be put into a potion. The female of the pair will then drink it, and will become pregnant."

I hear gasps.

"Quieten down please!" McGonagall commands as people converse in hushed whispers. "The pregnancy process will be sped up, so the girls will only experience this for 3 months. Then, you will take care of the child for the rest of the year. Any questions?" She folds her arms behind her back, looking at us expectantly. 

I  raise my hand. "What exactly is the purpose of this, Headmistress?" I ask politely.

"Excellent question, Miss Granger. The purpose is to prepare you all for the future, and to promote mixing within the houses, although there are slightly more Gryffindors, so one some pairs will consist of two Gryffindors. Does that answer your question?" 

I nod, and McGonagall looks around for more raised hands.

"That's a shame, we won't be paired together," Ron whispers, disappointed. 

"Yeah," I whisper back, not feeling as sad as I should be. 

"Alright, the pairs are as follows," McGonagall says, and everyone listens intently. 

"Mr Potter and Miss Lovegood, Mr Weasley and Miss Chang..."

Ron looks disgusted, and I feel bad for Cho, as crazy as that is. I am so busy thinking about this, that I almost miss my name.

"Miss Granger and Mr Malfoy, and Mr Longbottom and Miss Weasley."

I look at Draco, and he looks up at last. The most surprising thing is, he smiles at me. 

A/N: Hi everyone (if anyone is actually reading this)! I know lots of people are doing this type of story, and I've read some amazing ones, but I want to make this one a little different... keep reading to find out! In case you couldn't already tell, this is a Dramione fanfic, so I'm sorry if anyone is a Romione shipper! Also, just because some of them have been partnered for the project, it doesn't mean that they will end up with each other! Please let me know what you think of this chapter!

Lots of love

Saf xx