Ron- Chapter 10

As soon as Hermione pulls me into an empty classroom before breakfast, I know something is different. She looks flustered and thin, but what worries me the most, is she looks on edge. My Mione always has it together, which must mean whatever she wants to speak to me about must be a big deal. 

"Do you have a minute?" She asks lightly, biting her nails as if she is nervous. 

"What is it Mione?" I ask apprehensively, my stomach growling from the delicious smell wafting from the Great Hall.

"Well, the thing is..." she wrings her hands together restlessly, and I instinctively place my hands over hers.

She pulls away. 

"Just spit it out Mione," I say, slightly harsher this time. 

"Ron, I think we need to... reconsider our relationship," she says, not looking at me, instead choosing to stare at the cracks in the linoleum flooring.

My heart sinks. "What exactly do you mean Hermione?" I say coldly, not in the mood for her to sugar-coat it. 

She looks me directly in the eyes this time. "I think we should break up," she says, as if she's not shattering my heart into tiny pieces with every syllable. 

It feels as if all the air has been knocked out of me. 

How could she do this to me? To us?

"Why?" is all I can get out.

She avoids eye contact. 

And just like that, I know. 

"Who is he?" I say coldly, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"What are you talking about?" she says, but she still won't look me in the eye. 

"Is it Harry?" I blurt out, dreading her answer. 

"What?" She looks at me incredulously. "Of course not!"

I'm not convinced. 

"Ron, Harry's my best friend! So is Ginny! And they're dating!" She looks exasperated with me now, and I feel defensive.

"Bloody hell Hermione, I'm entitled to ASK!" I end up shouting the last bit, and she looks slightly shocked, before quickly regaining her composure. 

"Look Ron, I'm sorry, I really am-" she starts, but I don't let her finish.

"Save it," I say aggressively, walking out of the room.

It boils my blood to even think of Hermione with someone else. What does he have that I don't? Hermione was one of the only good things left in my life, and we can't even go back to being friends after this. 

I'm so frustrated that I'm not even hungry.

As if Hermione breaking up with me wasn't enough, Cho is still in the apartment when I get back. I can't stand that girl. 

"Ron, are you ok?" she says concernedly, obviously seeing the look on my face. 

I raise my eyebrows. 

"Does it LOOK like I'm ok?" I say harshly. I'm not in the mood to deal with her right now. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" she says softly. 

"No," I say curtly, just craving solitude. "I'll be in the bedroom."

Why does everything feel so depressing all of a sudden?

Maybe it's because since the war, the thing I've been hanging onto is my friends and family that are left. 

I don't want to lose any more of them.

Bloody hell, when did I become such a deep thinker?

I am so lost in my thoughts, I don't even hear the door open. It is only when someone sets a tray down on the bedside table that I start to pay attention. 

"You need to eat," Cho says quietly, and I am surprised to find that her voice is soothing this time, not aggravating. 

Before I have time to say anything, she's gone, leaving the delicious smell of a traditional Hogwarts breakfast right under my nose. 

Well, not right under, but close enough. 

I devour every morsel, my sole focus on the food in an attempt to distract myself. 

Girls are dumb. 

I groan, rolling over in bed, deciding that it's too warm and cozy here to bother attending classes. 

Stuff those.

I settle down, slipping deeper into the folds of the duvet, becoming even warmer and snugglier the further down I go. 

I like this.

So when an angry red-head bounces into the room at noon, I am bloody annoyed. 

"Ronald Bilius Weasley," Ginny says angrily, sounding uncannily like Mum. "What in Merlin's name do you think you're doing?"

"What does it look like?" I groan, the pillow muffling my voice.

"It looks like you've been sitting on your ass all morning!" she exclaims, and I don't even have to look at her to see her hands are on her hips, just like Mum when she's angry.

"Technically I've been lying on my ass," I mumble, and instantly regret it as her raging pregnancy hormones kick in. 

"Oh I'm sorry, is this FUNNY to you?" Her voice gets to a dangerously high pitch, and I cringe slightly. 

"Ginny," I say tiredly, rolling over to face her. "Hermione broke up with me and I feel like crap, so can you please leave me alone?" I don't even try to hide my annoyance this time. 

"That's not it though, is it?" she says, her voice softer now. 

"What do you mean?" I say coldly, not looking at her. 

She sighs, and sits down on the end of my bed. 

"You've been distant since-" she gulps. "-it happened," she finishes, and the tension in the room is palpable. 

"I know for a fact that you and Hermione aren't what you were," she continues. "So was it the fact that she broke up with you, or the fact that you feel you're losing her?"

I stiffen. 

Ginny hit the nail on the head, whatever the heck that means. I've heard Hermione say it before. 

Bloody hell, how did she know?

"I think of Fred every single day you know."

And that's all it takes. Someone who understands, someone who gets it. 

I miss Fred. 

So when Ginny hugs me, I hug her back, glad that of all the crappy things in life, I still have people who love me.

Bloody hell, I need to stop being so sentimental. 

A/N: Hi guys, sorry for the late update... this chapter's been a work in progress for a while, but it's finally up now! I hope it was alright! Thank you so much for all of your support, you guys honestly make my day🥰

Lots of love

Saf xx