Chapter 9: Lunch with werewolves

The next two weeks went by tediously slow. Yeah sure, Derek was happy to be around his family, and it was great to be back in his hometown. There was just one thing missing from the festive rush of needle-shedding Christmas trees and undercooked turkey. The one person Derek thought he'd be annoyed with forever, was the person he missed most. The nutjob that stole his heart and made Derek forget he's supposed to be an angry grump. Stiles Stilinski.

.................................................................................................................................

Stiles loved Christmas! The combination of fresh-baked Christmas cookies, oversized sweaters his babcia knitted and singing carols with Scott and Melissa made it unforgettable every single year. But this year he couldn't fully enjoy it, because his heart was somewhere else. He'd left it with an ill-tempered werewolf that looked like a fugitive convict. The idiot that made him feel special and loved with sarcastic snark and occasional (read: frequent) annoyance. Derek Hale.

..............................................................................................................................

On Christmas morning Derek woke up to the smell of pancakes and hot chocolate. He smiled and got up, getting jumped by his little brother Caius the moment he opened his door. "Happy birthday, Derek!" Derek smiled as he adjusted the little boy in his arms, "Thank you, little C." They walked down the stairs together, finding their family already around the table. He was ambushed by his sisters the minute he sat down, Laura aggressively ruffling his hair.

"Happy birthday, loser", Cora mumbled with a hint of a smile. "Thanks dumbass." That got them a rigorous glare from their mom, "Shut it, you two! We don't talk like that." A simultaneous sorry later they all got their pancakes and started eating, chattering about little nothings. After breakfast they all got around the tree to unpack their presents. But just as they'd all gotten settled, the doorbell resounded through the house. Derek jumped up, "I'll go get it!"

He jogged to the front door and opened it with a swing, then he froze. Before he knew it a hand hit the back of his head, "You idjit! When were you going to tell me it was your birthday!?" Derek was still gawping, "Stiles? What are you doing here?" Stiles snapped his fingers in front of his face, "Get with the program, big guy, I'm here to wish you a happy birthday!" "All the way from Beacon Hills?" Stiles shrugged, "I mean, yeah... You're worth the drive and we unpack presents on Christmas eve so it's not like anyone will miss me."

Talia appeared from behind her son, "Well, in that case, you should come in, dear!" Stiles beamed, "Hi, Mrs Hale, It's nice to finally meet you." She smiled, "Pleasure's all mine, sweet cheeks, Derek has told us all about you." Stiles looked surprised, "You've been talking about me?" Before Derek could answer Mr Hale joined them in the hallway, "Are you kidding? He hasn't shut up about you!" He turned to his son, "You're right, Derek, he has a contagious smile!" (Really, dad?)

Derek was ready for the ground to swallow him whole when Caius came to the rescue, "HI! I'M CAIUS, I'M TEN AND I LIKE STAR WARS!!!" Stiles kneeled in front of the boy, "That makes two of us, buddy, who's your favorite character?" Caius was practically glowing, "Han Solo, he's funny!" Stiles feigned shock, "No way, he's my favorite too!" Derek's heart melted a little then and there, it was impossible not to love this guy, and you can trust on it that he tried.

Stiles stood up and turned back to Derek and his parents, now joined by Laura, Cora and Peter as well. "I'm sorry for busting in on Christmas morning, but Mr. Grump over there forgot to mention it was his birthday. So I came to give him this." He fishes a small, nicely wrapped present from his pocket and handed it to Derek. Derek looked at it sheepishly, then met Stiles' eyes, "Thank you." His mom bumped his shoulder, "Go on, open it."

Derek carefully removed the wrapping paper and opened the small box, revealing dog tags with a howling wolf and the word SOURWOLF engraved in them. Derek's breath stocked, "Stiles..." He met the other boy's eyes, "I love it!" Stiles smiled, "Now you have something to remember me by." Mrs Hale cleared her throat, "Stiles, would you like to stay for lunch?" Peter popped up next to Derek, "Wrong! Stiles, would you like to stay forever?" Derek hit his shoulder, "Shut up, uncle Peter!" Stiles chuckled and turned to Derek, "Lunch would be great."

Derek was an idiot to think it would be awkward to share a table with his family and the boy he was secretly in love with, because this was Stiles. The guy was so mesmerizing he made it seem like the most natural thing to eat with werewolves, which it kind of was for him. "So, Stiles, what do you do?", Mr Hale asked. Stiles smiled calmly, "I'm majoring in Folklore Mythology, Sir." "With a minor in literature, right? That's how you met Derek." Stiles nodded, "Yeah, poor guy had to deal with my half-awake ass next to him two times a week."

"It grows on you", Derek mumbled shyly, getting a surprised smile from Stiles. "Sorry to ask, but what are you gonna do with a degree like Folklore Mythology?", Laura asked. Stiles grinned, "No, you're right to ask. I can start as a supernatural consultant at my dad's office." "So the whole department knows about the supernatural?", Peter asked curiously. "Oh no, just my dad and deputy Parrish, who's a hellhound. To the outer world I'll just be a behavioral profiler. If I'm able to graduate, that is..."

Derek was the first to protest, "Of course you'll graduate, you're the smartest guy in your department." Stiles blushed slightly, "Thank you Der, that's really sweet." Derek shrugged, now blushing himself, "It's the truth. You don't half realize how talented you are." They stared into each other's eyes, both trying to convince themselves they weren't head over heals for the person in front of them.

..............................................................................................................................

After lunch Talia insisted that Stiles took some pancakes home for him and his dad. He hugged everyone goodbye and Derek walked him to the door, "Thanks for coming, Sti. You made today really special." Stiles smiled, "Of course, Sourwolf." They hugged one last time, "Seven days and six hours", Stiles whispered in his ear, and to Derek it sounded like a promise. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alrighty then!"

A new chapter, yay! Hope you guys like it!

As promised I'm continuing with the thirty day song challenge, here's the next six:

DAY 7: A song to drive to - 'Stressed Out' by Twenty One Pilots

DAY 8: A song about drugs or alcohol - 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' by The Beatles

DAY 9: A song that makes you happy - 'Love and Pride' by King

DAY 10: A song that makes you sad - 'To Build A Home' by The Cinematic Orchestra

DAY 11: A song you never get tired of - 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' by The Darkness

DAY 12: A song from your preteen years - 'All About That Bass' by Meghan Trainor

Hope you like it, tag me in another challenge if you want to know more about me, other than my endless tatse in music. 

Take care and, as always, thanks for reading!

XXX-HY_13