Chapter 10: Babel

Derek smiled as he got out of the Camaro and spotted a familiar blue jeep already waiting for him, lanky boy leaning against it. He pulled the other boy in a firm hug, "Hey there, Grumpypants." Derek let him go, "Don't call me that." Stiles grinned, "Whatever. Hey! You're wearing the dog tags!" Derek briefly touched the metal plates on his chest, "'Course I am, doofus." They walked back to campus together. "Ready for another semester of Harris?" "As long as you're there to annoy me, I'm ready for anything."

..............................................................................................................................

Apparently Harris had made it his personal mission to have them drowning in misery by the end of the semester, because somehow he found a way to make his lecture even more dull than they already were. Downside was, well, boredom. Upside was that Stiles was so bored out of his mind that he decided taking a nap on Derek's shoulder was a more productive pastime. Derek was looking at the boy's sleepy face with a fondness he had for few people.

Then his phone buzzed with a text from Boyd { Stop staring or ask him out! Either way I'm done with this pining, it's been like 10 billion years...} Derek was ready to turn around and glare when he got another text, {No, seriously, I think I'm turning grey already! Hurry up!} He rolled his eyes. That was the downside of having Boyd as his best friend, he was snarky as fuck, but nobody actually believed it because of his rather earnest demeanor.

By the end of the lecture Derek carefully shook Stiles awake, "Hey, sleepyhead, wanna get lunch." Stiles groaned, "Hmmm, Pizza." Derek chuckled, "I swear to God, one day you'll turn into a pizza." Stiles grinned, "Wouldn't that be one hell of a way to go out." "You're an idiot." (But you're the perfect idiot for me.) Stiles smiled, "Yeah well... Race you!" Before Derek could react Stiles was already halfway to the exit, "Hey that's unfair! Come back here!", he called out as he chased after him.

..............................................................................................................................

Stiles was devouring his pizza as usual when he noticed Derek was looking at him. He looked at him with stuffed cheeks and a self-conscious look on his face, "What!?" Derek smiled, "Nothing!" Stiles put down his pizza in disdain, "Derek! What is it? Do I have something on my face?" Derek chuckled, "No, your face is fine! I was just thinking of something, nothing important." Stiles squinted, "Okay, if you say so." He took another big bite and looked back up at Derek.

And the other boy was so endlessly amused by Stiles' hamster cheeks that started laughing, full on laughing. And it was nothing like his usual chuckle, it was bright and soft. Stiles was mesmerized. He did that, he made Derek fricking Hale laugh, and it was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. The guy had bunny teeth for God's sake, how has he never noticed that before? Derek wiped the tears from his eyes, "Sorry, you're just adorable when you're eating. You straight up look like the hamster from Bolt"

Stiles huffed, "I don't look like a hamster! I'm a grown man for fucks sake!" Derek shook his head, "Yeah well, an adorable one then." Stiles tried to hide his smile as he finished his pizza, "Fleabag." Derek chuckled, "Pogo stick." Once they'd both finished they slowly walked back to campus when an older gentleman was approaching them, "Oh shit", Stiles muttered. "What?", Derek asked. "I'll explain later, you don't speak English. Please play along."

The older man grabbed Stiles' arm and gave him a stern look, "I thought it was you! What do you have to say for yourself, young man?" Stiles looked at the man wide-eyed, "Bardzo Pana przepraszam, ja tylko przeprowadzałem badania dla szkoły. Nie chciałem Pana zdenerwować.(1)." The man looked flustered, then regained his composure and turned to Derek, "Can you translate?" Derek signed that he didn't understand him, "Lo siento señor, no puedo ayudar, no hablo inglés (2)."

"Dear lord", the man sighed, "Just... don't let it happen again!", and then he scurried away as fast as possible. Once they were sure he was out of earshot, Derek turned to Stiles, "What was that about?" Stiles looked embarrassed, "I might have kind of broken into the restricted part of his bookshop without his permission to do research for my thesis." Derek chuckled, "You might have, or you did?" Stiles looked at his feet, "I... I did."

Derek shook his head, "Stiles Stilinski, you're a disaster." Then he added, "Cool accent by the way." Stiles blushed, "Thanks, you're Spanish wasn't half bad either." Derek smirked, "Yeah well, I have family in Mexico so I picked it up as a kid." Stiles chuckled, "We're one special pair. A wolf that speaks Spanish and a Polish Mythologist, it sounds like a bad rip-off of the tower of Babel." Derek shook his head, "You're a nutjob." (But I love you.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Translations:
(1) I'm really sorry, Sir, I was doing research for school. I didn't mean to anger you.

(2) Sorry, mister, I can't help. I don't speak English.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hiya!

A next chapter... You guys happy? I know I am! The last week was crazy.

Anyways, you don't care! Here's the next part to the thirty day song challenge:

DAY 13: A song you like from the '70s - "Have you ever seen the rain?" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

DAY 14: A song you'd like to be played at your wedding - "Something I need' by OneRepublic

DAY 15: A song you like that's a cover by another artist - "Fragile" by Cody Christian ft. Kenny Kynoch

DAY 16: A song that's a classic favourite - "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

DAY 17: A song you'd sing in a duet with someone while doing karaoke - "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye ft. Kimbra

DAY 18: A song from the year you were born - "Lose Yourself" by Eminem

Hope you enjoy!

Bye Bye!

XXX-HY_13