Chapter 5

Talia's P.O.V.

"Do you understand how grounded you are? Your father is furious with you and as am I, Talia. We don't ask anything of you and you get all the money in the world, a beautiful car and we let your friends practically live with you! Did you get the house cleaned up like I told you to do or did you disobey me again?" my mother spat through the phone.

I've been on the phone with her all morning since six-thirty. SIX-THIRTY! Does anyone know how difficult it is to get ready with your mom screaming at you on the phone?

"Yes, I cleaned the house to perfection because I know you wouldn't want anything less," I mumbled.

"Are you being smart with me young lady?"

"What? Me, being smart, with you?" I laughed. "That's exactly what I'm doing mom!"

"Talia Stevens, when I get home I am taking your computer, keys, phone and everything! You are grounded for a month!" she yelled.

"Oh? And when exactly will you be home, mother? Because I must have missed the last time you and dad were home to cook me dinner, to have a movie night, or to just remind me how much you love me! I guess I must have fucking missed all of those times!" I hung up the phone, infuriated.

I felt a tear run down my face, but quickly wiped it away not wanting to cry over something so stupid. I just needed to focus on being strong and not let my stupid mother ruin my day. Even though Asher was late and I was debating on whether or not I should just drive myself to school. It was seven-ten and he said to be ready by seven.

Finally, I just decided to drive myself, so I grabbed my keys and walked out of the front door, making sure to lock it behind me. But before I even turned around, I heard a car pull up and a horn being honked. I turned to see Asher in his black ford truck. It was a big truck.

I walked down the steps, eyeing him as he sat in his truck tapping the steering wheel. He had this look in his eyes...like he was thinking about something really hard.

Ignoring it, I walked to the passenger side of the truck and climbed in.

"So why did you want to pick me up for school exactly?" I asked, looking at him.

He turned to me, furrowing his eyebrows as he studied me.

"Because that's what friends do," he stated simply.

"Oh, so now we're friends?"

"Looks like it."

I huffed into the seat, kind of feeling friend zoned. One day, he's hooking up with me in the locker room and now he's saying we are friends and being all awkward. He is sending me mixed feelings! Well, he better make up his damn mind, because I'll be gone before he can think about hurting me. I swore to myself that I would never let another boy break my heart and I meant that promise, no matter what it takes.

He drove in silence, and I just stared at the road. He kept looking over at me but I ignored it and forced myself to keep looking up front. No way was I going to play this staring game with him; it had already been a major awkward drive to school so I was pretty happy when he pulled up to the big building.

I opened the door and jumped out of the truck, people looking my way with looks of surprise on their faces, obviously because I was with Asher. I was an outcast, while he was the school's hottest boy, the one every girl wanted to be with.

"Wait for me," Asher called out, as I walked to the school.

"No," I called back.

I heard footsteps behind me, and Asher appeared next to me, his backpack slung over his shoulders lazily.