Chapter Sixteen

Sav and Alicia walk into the room together, with pretentious smiles on their faces. I watch both strut to their desks. I glance back at the phone on my own desk. It hasn't rung yet, and it's almost 10:30 a.m.

I stare at the computer screen, waiting for the phone to ring. Since no one is calling in, I call the number on that card Justine gave me. Two minutes later, a man answers the phone.

"Hello?"

I sigh. "Hi. Is Justine Francis there?"

"No. She's at the bookstore."

Hold up. I know that voice.

"Niles? Is that you?"

"No. You must have me confused with someone else."

Niles hangs up the phone. I know I'm not confused. His voice is undeniable. Did Justine give me the wrong number? Or is Niles her dad? It wouldn't make sense for her to get her own phone number wrong.

So, Niles never mentioned having a daughter before. I call that number again, but no one picks up. Of course, he wouldn't.

I shove that business card back in the pocket of dark blue pants. That number couldn't be hers if someone is going to answer the phone. Unless...she lost it.

Alicia comes to my cubicle, with her hands behind her back. Maybe she came to her senses early on. I won't have to keep my distance after all.

I don't want to have to do this. But it's best for the both of us.

"Spit it out, Alicia. " I say curtly.

She looks directly at me. "Ms. Fields wants to see you in her office. Come with me."

We both walk to the office all the way on the right side of the room. Alicia slowly pushes the door open. I sit on one of the black chairs facing her desk.

Ms. Fields pushes her glasses up on her wide nose. "Ms. Bailey, I've been hearing complaints about you trying to have relations with Mr. Patel in the breakroom."

What the hell? Sav must be delusional to think I'd ever want a piece of him. I can't believe those words came out of her mouth.

"That's a lie. Alicia's the one fooling around with Sav." I blurt.

"If that's not true, then why do I have it on camera?"

Ms. Fields turns the Dell monitor around. A video of Sav kissing me plays onscreen. I shudder at the thought of him touching me. My heart drops when he puts his hand on my tits, and then pulls me onto his lap. Ew.

My eyes fill with tears. That video couldn't be real.

Is Alicia so mad at me, that she would fuck me over like this? As fresh tears run down my face, Sav rests his hand on top of mine. I snatch it from him. He doesn't even deserve to touch me.

"You do know that type of activity is prohibited, right? I'll have to let the both of you go." Ms. Fields tells us.

The disapproving look on her face is the last thing I see before I leave the room. I pick up my orange purse from the cubicle, and storm out of the store. The clicking of heels makes me turn around. Alicia stands there, teary eyed.

"Why the hell are you crying? I'm the one who got fired!" I yell.

She let out a shaky breath. "I had to take you down a bit. It was my only choice."

"How? I didn't do anything to deserve this."

"I can't say much, but he told me that you and the other girls think he's a liar. You may think I'm stupid, but I'm just doing what it takes to make him happy."