Book 2: Chapter 3: The Beginning of My Emo Phase (I'm A Late Bloomer)

"That wasn't as bad as I thought," Katara said.

That sewer was a brilliant idea for the benders in the group. Not so much for Sokka and (Y/n), where the thick, smelly water washed over them as they had climbed up the sewer past the city gates secretly. 

Oh sure, Aang and Katara got away without a drop on themselves. That meant everything was fucking fine.

As they hid between the buildings in a dark alley, Katara shrieked at the sight of two lumps of green goo moving around. Aang was horrified as well at the sudden sight, but when Katara used water from the barrel to hit the lumps, it washed away the funk to reveal (Y/n) and Sokka, their faces twisted in disgust.

It was horrible, sticky water that clung to (Y/n)'s robes. Her skin felt oily no matter how much she wiped at it, and all she wanted to do was jump into a clean river and scrub herself until the first layer of her skin was shed.

"If someone doesn't get this stuff off me, I'm going to set fire to something," (Y/n) growled, eyes shining murderously, as she felt the sludge dripping down her hair like worms. 

Aang swung his staff to create a gale that blew them both dry, but not without Sokka crying out at his robes flapped into his face. Even with the blow-dry, it was like she had an oily sheen to her skin.

Sokka raised his head to reveal two purple octopus-like creatures stuck on either side of his head. He wasn't aware of it until they hiccupped and squeaked. 

Sokka screamed, clawing at his face until he was yanking them off, but they just stretched with the movement. "They won't let go! Help!"

Aang pounced on Sokka, pinning him to the wall as Sokka cried. Aang tried plucking it off, but it didn't work, and Sokka was left with a sour look on his face. 

(Y/n) gritted her teeth. "Do I have any on me?"

"Surprisingly, no. How's that possible?" Katara mused.

"I guess they repel me, just like every other thing in my life."

The kids turned to her in concern. Sokka was the first to ask, "uh, you okay?"

(Y/n) sighed. She wanted to see her old master. "After being nearly drowned in sewer water, I've never felt so hydrated in my life. Can we go?"

"What's the rush?"

Her eyes nearly popped out of her skull with how wide they grew. "Omashu is in danger. My master is in danger! My vacation is in danger!"

"That's one too many things in danger," Sokka mumbled, cringing at the wiggling creature glued to him.

Aang turned back to Sokka. "It's just a purple pentapus." He gripped the nearest one and rubbed it softly. Its tentacles raised and with a small pop, the pentapus detached from Sokka's skin.

The relief was clear on Sokka's face as he began rubbing at the other pentapus. While Aang removed the one behind his neck, (Y/n) recalled this episode, and immediately tensed. Oh, they were about to get caught with no way to hide them—

Wait, why was she even worrying? It wasn't like the gut-tugging. So far, nothing had changed. She could take a breather and maybe kick back, drink some cactus juice, take in some well-deserved sunlight and avoid Sokka as much as possible.

Every time she looked at him, it tugged at her heartstrings. Her eyes always drifted to his lips, and every night before going to sleep, she could almost feel his arms around her, his breath on her neck, and his lips pressed to her shoulder... even though Sokka was sleeping five feet away from her and not even facing her.