Book 2: Chapter 14: The Tales of Ba Sing Se

I'm sorry I couldn't update yesterday. My hands were in severe pain and I had to wear my carpal tunnel gloves because I've been writing so much.

I think I might slow down the updates because it's getting painful to type a lot, but I'll see. I'll let y'all know anyways.

Thank you for waiting!

*

(Y/n) loves waking up early. She gets to see the bright, beautiful sun and hear the chirping birds, and it's just so wonderful to stretch until she's trembling because her muscles go into this sort of boneless euphoria that has her feeling like she can do anything.

She says her daily mantra into the silent living room. Completes her exercise and meditation routine. Nothing special or new there. What is new is that she looked up. The roof above her is built strong and there are several beams that support it. Those beams interlock with each other and seem like a place birds can make nests if they got in.

The windowsill nearest to a beam looks tall enough. (Y/n) climbs the windowsill. Even jumping can't get her up there, so her fingers dig into the top, jutted part of the window and she hauls herself up until she looks like she's doing a pull up, staring out the street.

What now? She can't even move anywhere.

So, she switches directions, approaching the windowsill from the outside. (Y/n)'s eyes squint at the rather long distance from her position to the beam. (Y/n) begins swinging herself like she's on a monkey bar, except it's a thin windowsill that has dust and tiny pieces of stone burying into her fingernails, but the harder she swings her body, the higher her legs reach.

Faster and faster until she throws herself up and releases the sill. Her foot catches the beam like a hook and (Y/n) stifles a sound as she nearly drops.

Hanging upside down from a foot isn't as cut out as it seems to be. Slowly, she inches her head up like she's folding herself in half and god, her stomach muscles are dying but there's this thrill she gets from doing stupid, useless stunts with complete silence in a house full of sleeping people. It feels less dangerous and more fun than fighting, and when her fingers latch onto the wooden beam to drag herself to sit there, (Y/n) is grinning victoriously.

Sweating and red-faced but has a nice view of the open rooms, and even if her head is brushing the ceiling, something in her loosens.

(Y/n) purses her lips after a minute. This isn't high enough. She needs more, needs to clear her head for once. Her cheeks are still bright red when thinking about the first thing she did after waking up.

Definitely didn't peek into Sokka's compartment to find the boy sleeping haphazardly and drooling. Definitely didn't find it a little cute.

Nope.

Because... if (Y/n) did do that, then well, it's only to make sure, you know, he's safe.

(Y/n) rubs her face and throws herself on her back. "I'm so gone for that little sh—"

"What in the spirits are you doing up there?" Katara nearly shouts, clutching at her hair. "You could fall."

(Y/n) has the decency to look ashamed. "Needed to let off a little energy."

Katara narrows her eyes and for the first time, (Y/n) understands why Sokka fears Katara's lectures. The way her brows pinch, and the disappointed look can make a grown man cry.

"Get down now."

"Yes, mom," (Y/n) replies and receives a face full of water that has her reeling back and gasping. She gives Katara a dirty look.