Book 2: Chapter 6: How To Deal With Brats

It was easier than expected.

(Y/n) had to resort to some unfair means; breaking in rich homes to get food and money enough to sustain her for travels, and maybe she stole an ostrich-horse hybrid on the way, a fiery little creature she aptly named Zuko because of its wildish temper and tendency to go off on its own unless it's been fed.

Buying a large satchel for her food, some feed for her ride, a thin blanket, and a new pair of clothes in beige and yellow, she removed her—Sokka's tunic and pants and replaced it with her outfit. (Y/n) felt odd in the new clothes, and every time she spotted the neatly folded Water Tribe outfit at the bottom of the bag, she felt the urge to press it to her nose as if she could still believe Sokka was nearby.

But she banished those thoughts. They left her behind like she meant nothing to them, so she stopped thinking—read: tried; it never worked—about them. About him.

She had travelled past a dusty old earth town that seemed like it came from old Western films, and (Y/n) knew she didn't want to spend a second there. It's been more than a week on her own and she had no need for things to change.

Her gut had other ideas.

With a prolonged groan to which her ride tittered, (Y/n) rode through the centre of the town where there was a loud hustle on the dirty road. Curiously, she got off and tugged at the ostrich hybrid to stand beside another of its kind.

The crowd parted to give her the view of...

And, that's why she was thrown out of her way.

Because in the show, Zuko had been having his own issues and separated from General Iroh, trying to make some sort of amends in this town. And when he stood up to the bully soldiers, Zuko had obviously lost his temper and used bending to steer the soldiers away. He was also sporting a sword piercing through his shoulder. It looked painful, but he was still standing, rather staggering. Zuko clearly announced his name to the townspeople, and (Y/n) sighed, wiping the sweat off her forehead. Couldn't he pull it together for one moment? Didn't he know royalty was hated?

True to that, everyone in that town looked shocked and disgusted, and when Zuko tried to hand over a dagger to a young boy kindly, the boy shouted out, "no, I hate you!"

(Y/n) could see Zuko slip further into his shell. She could also see him sway on his feet, and before the scared crowd could do anything, (Y/n) elbowed her way through to grab at him.

Immediately, Zuko looked up, and although he was scowling, his amber eyes were tired. "You..."

(Y/n) ignored the chatter of the crowd and quickly ushered him out, pulling Zuko onto his ride, adjusting him so that he was slumped forward. "Hey, Zuko, can you stay awake for me?"

He nodded, eyes fluttering open, a weak hand holding the reins. (Y/n) mounted her ostrich-horse and gently grabbed at his reins as well. She gave the town one last look behind her, spotting the disgust and confusion among them before she ushered them out of the town. It took a short time to reach a secluded area with a small pond and shade of trees in the desert-like area. (Y/n) knew this wasn't a good situation, but Zuko had never been stabbed, so she had to help him.

Quickly working to dismount them and tie up the animals close enough that they could drink and eat, (Y/n) tapped Zuko on the cheek gently. He blinked them open, a soft groan escaping his lips.

"What are you doing?" He rasped, hand coming up to feel at his wound.

(Y/n) smacked his hand away, eyeing the sword embedded there with unease. "I couldn't stop at the town to bandage you, and if it had taken the sword out, you would've bled out."