𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙵𝚘𝚞𝚛

"I can't believe I'm engaged."

Maddie marvels at the diamond ring on her finger with a silly grin on her sculpted face.

"I can't believe you got Reilly Michaelson to actually put a ring on it," one of her English friends, Winter, pipes in.

Winter twists and turns my sister's hand, weighing the ring with her the sky blue eyes.

For some reason my heart clenches in my chest, aching by the minute and I find it hard to take deep breaths.

My shoulders feel heavier by the second and I sigh when I see a hopeless brunette with dark circles around her eyes nursing a baby. She holds her baby in one arm while chugging her third cup of coffee.

I gulp and think back to my appointment with Desiree and her casually telling me that I'm pregnant.

"You're technically rich by association now." Brenda gushes putting our drinks on the table as she sits down on the vacant chair.

"Well, I can't believe you really said yes to him," I blurt. When I laugh, I keep my head down feeling that familiar sting on the bridge of my nose.

I swear everyone has their eyes on me right now, I feel scrutinised.

How can I even say that to her? How can she accept his proposal without talking to me?

I read somewhere that acceptance is a process, and if that's the case I think it's going to be a while for me, considering how I must've bought half a dozen of pregnancy tests on my way home from the hospital.

I thought, maybe she got the results mixed up. After all, these things do happen a lot.

But then again symptoms and tests don't lie.

Maddie sits upright as Winter gives me an incredulous look. "Well what was I supposed to do Kira, reject him in front a thousand people?"

"Can't you at least pretend to be happy for her." Winter interjects. I narrow my eyes at her and she glares at me and it feels like she's seeing right through me.

Argh, I just need this to stop.

"It's not like I planned for it to happen."

"Yeah," I let out a dry laugh, wiping a treacherous tear on my cheek, "You never plan for anything to happen."

Yet everything still goes perfectly for you, I want to add, but my heart drops as I recollect the words that came out of my mouth. Just like me.

"Hey!" Brendy gasps. "What the hell?"

"Awkward." Winter sings to herself.

Maddie stays still for a moment, her brown eyes unblinking as she stares at me. And when she finally does blink, a frown takes over her face.

With my heart in my throat, I bolt up from the chair, attracting more attention than I'd like. I regret what I said and I wish I could take it back.

I'm taking my frustrations out on her.

I'm supposed to be looking out for her, but like always, I'm taking my frustrations out on her. Fuck.