01 : 𝖲𝗍𝗋𝖺𝗇𝗀𝖾𝗋'𝗌 𝖫𝗎𝗅𝗅𝖺𝖻𝗒

「🌙」

"GAH!" My body jolted up, sweat rolling down all over.

I panted and looked around my room. It was dim with shadows being casted on the walls from the lights and figures outside. I sighed, running a hand through my tangled hair. How long have I been asleep?

"1:48 AM." Flashed the bedside clock in red numbers.

I've been knocked out for 19 hours, great. Though I wasn't really that impressed. It was nothing for me to be proud of. I heaved myself out of bed and slipped into my soft slippers. Practically dragging myself out of the room, I went to fetch some glass of water in the kitchen.

Dealing with Kleine-Levin syndrome was never easy. Let me explain; usually, a normal person only needs or gets 8-10 hours of sleep overnight. However, people like me sometimes go around a whole day and it usually lasts for a week or more. I couldn't get a lot of work done, I wake up with a pouding head, confused and sometimes, I've been seeing things. Weird things. My friends would often call me the 'Sleeping Beauty' because of my condition. And I didn't know whether I should feel flattered or mocked.

"I really should stay awake now.." I whispered to myself and drank.

I poured in some more. Surely this would help to keep the drowsiness away. I marched towards the living room with the glass on my hand. I sat on the couch, turned on the television, and leaned back to watch the late, late news.

"A 52-year old kidnapper has been arrested in his home this afternoon. The suspect named Lee Haewi was known to hold 4 children in hostage over the past 2 years. He has been wanted for a year until a witness saw him toddling back to his hideout right in Deokji avenue."

The screen suddenly went black and the lights outside turned off. There was a sudden blackout.

"Oh, God." I groaned and got up. "What the hell? Why now?!"

Now how am I supposed to keep me awake? If I do nothing, the drowse will eventually kick in and I'll find myself waking up after a lot of hours! Damn it.

I grabbed my coat and went to the door. With my purse on my hand, I walked out. Perhaps some fresh air will do. I exited my apartment building and crossed a lot of streets. I also stopped by a convenience store to purchase a drink. Gatorade. The blue one. I then made my way to the nearest park which was situated quite uphill. As I drank my Gatorade, I looked for a spot to sit on. Luckily, there was a bench.

"Mmm.." I frowned. "I nearly forgot how it looks like here."

From my spot, one could overlook a nearby subdivision. Houses stood close to each other, rooftops glistening due to the pale moonlight. A few bats flew around. Trees gently swayed through the soft night breeze. It was peaceful.

Suddenly, I heard a faint tune from a guitar accompanied by a male's voice. I looked around, only to see nobody. So, I decided to get up and explore. While doing so, I'd occasionally chug on my Gatorade to ease the anxiety. If I somehow end up seeing a criminal, I'd obviously lose my shit.

Behind a tree, not too far from my seat, there was a guy. He was sitting on the dewy grass while playing that brown guitar that he has in his hands. He was actually singing too.

"Walking down 29th and park. I saw you in another's arms. Only a month we've been apart, you look happier."

I sat on the other side of the tree, just behind him. Leaning my head on the trunk, I closed my eyes. His melody sent calmness into my veins and I needed to hear more.

"Saw you walk inside a bar. He said something to make you laugh. I saw that both your smiles were twice as wide as ours. Yeah, you look happier, you do."

I could definitely sense the hurt in his voice. Has he been having a hard time? Poor him.

"Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you. But ain't nobody love you like I do. Promise that I will not take it personal, baby if you're moving on with someone new."

Whoever hurt him this much needs to know that he or she has hurt an angel. He seemed so precious adding his soothing voice. How could someone afford to.. Oh, no.

"'Cause baby you look happier, you do. My friends told me one day I'll feel it too. And until then I'll smile to hide the truth. But I know I was happier with you."

I softly hummed along. Downing the last drops of my Gatorade, I stuffed the empty bottle inside my coat pocket. It popped out in a funny manner but I didn't mind. I hugged my knees as I kept on listening.

Who is this guy? And why's he singing alone in this dark place at 2 AM?

Before it could hit me, I yawned. Exhaling deeply through my nose, I shifted in my place to feel more comfortable. The guy was still singing, clueless of my presence.

The lamp posts eventually turned on, indicating that the power was finally back. He paused for a while as if he just noticed. As much as I needed to get back home now, I couldn't. The fact that I wanted to hear more of his voice held me back.

"Baby, you look happier, you do. I knew one day you'd fall for someone new. But if he breaks your heart like lovers do, just know that I'll be waiting here for you."

He plucked a few more chords before all fell into utter silence. The chirping of the crickets dominated the scenario as I sighed contently. I heard him shuffle. I think he already got up.

Just as I was about to scurry stand, I felt the drowsiness surging all over me again. And within a few moments, I fell asleep.