Chapter 16, hot chocolate

Jisoo was distraught. On top of her ever stressful work life, it appeared that her social life was also deteriorating. She called her driver and ordered him to take Jennie home, telling him to be kind to the fragile girl, Jisoo knew this had been a tough night for her.

She left the building, dragging Lisa away with her, she still had some explaining to do. Jisoo did not want to do it, she could not break down her friend's walls, she did not have it in her. She needed to go somewhere she felt safe, where they would both feel safe.

Luckily for them both, Lisa had a car. Jisoo snatched the keys from her, "Get in."

Lisa did as she was told, her head hung low. It had been a while since Jisoo had driven, but the adrenaline running through her made it seem like she did it every day. She pulled out onto the street, making her way towards the other side of town.

Breaking the silence, Lisa spoke, "Where are we going?"

"You know where," Jisoo replied.

"I don't."

Quiet took over the car. Jisoo felt bad. She knew neither of them had any real control over their emotions, but the whole situation angered her, especially Lisa.

"You know," Jisoo spoke, "You could have told me you liked Jennie."

Lisa smiled weakly, "You never would let her near a harlot like me."

The business woman frowned, "What makes you say that?"

Lisa thought for a moment, "Wouldn't it be weird?"

Jisoo sighed, "If you were what she was looking for, who am I to stop you?"

"Jisoo," Lisa answer, she shrugs, "I'm not what people look to date, I just hurt them."

"You never hurt me," Jisoo pointed out, "You're more than capable of being kind, you just choose to be difficult."

Lisa glanced at her friend, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"When was the last time you actually bothered to go on dates with someone? When is it more than just mere lust?"

Silence once again ran supreme. Jisoo out of victory, Lisa out of shock. The two never discussed Lisa's conquests.

"I thought we said we'd never bring that up," Lisa spoke slowly.

"We did," Jisoo agreed, "But then you involved Jennie."

Lisa took in a breath, "Are you taking me to my punishment?"

"Not quite."

Finally, Jisoo pulled up outside the familiar shop, Rosie's shop.

Lisa glanced over, "Why are we here?"

Jisoo did not entertain her with a response. Instead, she hopped out of the car and angrily knocked on the door. After a moment, a tired figure appeared. She smiled when she saw Jisoo, it faded when she saw the look on her face. Quickly, Rosie unlocked the store door and let the two in.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Can we come to your flat?" Jisoo took her hand.

Rosie nodded, locking the door. Intertwining their fingers, Rosie guided them both up a hidden set of stares into a small, studio like apartment.

There was a comfy couch, and a bed across from it. A window stood between them. Beside the couch, there was a small hallway to what Jisoo assumed was the kitchen and bathroom. The walls were a warmer tone of green to the ones down stairs, and the floor was the same soft wood. The entire place felt like home.

Rosie guided both Lisa and Jisoo to sit on the couch whilst she sat on the bed, wrapping a blanket around herself. Jisoo suppressed a smile as she pulled her legs up to her chest and rested her head on top of them, too cute.

Carefully, Rosie turned her attention to Lisa, who had been awkward throughout all of this, "You were crying, weren't you?"

Lisa nodded.

Rosie frowned, "Who hurt you?"

Lisa could not bare to look her in the eye, "I did."

Rosie gave her a warm smile, "That was silly." The florist got up and wrapped the blanket around the dancer, "You have to be careful with your heart."

"I'm trying," Lisa looked like she was about to cry again, "I really am."

As if she were her mother, Rosie wiped away her tears and hushed her sobs, "Would you like to talk about it?"

As they spoke, Jisoo got up and walked into the kitchen, deciding that what they had to say was none of her business. After figuring out where everything lived, Jisoo got to work; making them all some hot chocolate. Though she tended to go more for coffee, it had always been one of her guilty pleasures. The process of it all felt like it was a part of her, in a way her dealings at the office were not. She wondered why that was.

Soon, Jisoo balanced two of the three mugs, carefully bringing it through for the pair. She waited at the hall for a second to make sure they were not still talking before entering. It reminded her of her first meeting. Jisoo's mother had made her wait outside and enter by herself to show she was completely independent from her parents, she had hated every second of it. She did not hate this.

Jisoo peered into the room, heart warmed by the sight of their warm hug. They looked so contented, Jisoo wondered why she was even there. The buzz of her phone from her pocket drew their attention towards her, both their faces brightening.

"Is that hot chocolate?" Lisa asked.

With a small smile, Jisoo brought it over to the two, "You've both done well," She carefully handed them over, "If you'll excuse me, it appears I have a call to make."

Annoyed, Jisoo rushes through into the kitchen, all that was on her phone was a text from her executive, the one that called her florist trouble, telling her to call him. She dialled the number. They picked up instantly.

"This better be important," Jisoo snapped.

"Why are you at Roseanne's apartment, Miss Kim?"

Jisoo stopped breathing. She felt the familiar pang of fear grow within her, "Are you stalking me?"

"Is it wrong for a man to wonder why his boss stayed so late after hours with a dancer?" His voice was laced with poison.

"Is it wrong for a woman to wonder why her executive is stalking her? Or how that is any of his business?" Jisoo retorted, wondering where her confidence came from.

"When it affects the company, it affects me."

A lie Jisoo knew all to well. She knew he did not care for the company's sake, only for his own pocket.

"Here I was thinking this would be about the audits, considering you've already messed it up once," He remained silent, aware of his branch's insolence, Jisoo continued, "Instead, you once again pry into my private life, attempting to control me like I'm a child. If you ever, ever call me about something unrelated to work again, I will personally make sure you remember who put you in that seat. Am I clear?"

"... yes," He responded.

"Good," She triumphed, "I hope this doesn't happen again. We both know I keep my word."

With that, she hung up. Jisoo had never spoken back to her executive like that before, ever. She felt so strangely powerful. Should I not have felt powerful before, she wondered.

But in that moment, it did not matter to her, nothing, in the entire corporate world, mattered. The only thing on her mind was her beloved florist, she wanted to sip a hot chocolate and enjoy the evening sky with her. She wanted to be happy.