The Calm Before the Storm

It’s a very pissed off 118 that pulls into the fire station, and the second they’re off the firetruck, Bobby wastes no time telling Buck what he thinks,

“This isn’t a game, Buck! You can’t play with people’s lives like that!”

Then he storms off, which gives enough time for Eddie to catch up and give Buck a lecture of his own,

“He has every right to be pissed. You left the team in a really tight spot just to be a hero!”

Buck tries to defend himself, “Eddie, I just thought I heard a cry for help.”

Eddie reminds him, “Oh you heard something alright. From outside the goddamn building!”

Buck tries again, “It was pitch black! I was practically blind!”

Eddie stops him, “That’s why you’re supposed to stay with me, your partner. In more ways than one, in case you forgot.”

Here, Eddie shows off his ring, “Or does that mean nothing when you’re out saving lives? Because of you, I swear to god I thought something happened to you, and you needed my help. Because no way in hell am I about to tell Christopher that his Bucky died because I could’ve done something, and didn’t.”

Buck has enough sense here to not say anything, just nods in understanding.

“You don’t ever abandon your partner to be a hero. You know that. Especially not in a fire like that one.” Eddie emphasizes.

Once Eddie sees Buck is actually sorry, Eddie backs off a little. “Give the cap some time, then go apologize to everyone. And at least try to sound like you mean it.”

Buck nods, “Okay.”

Later, Buck heads to the hospital to meet up with Hen, who thankfully wasn’t on that call with them.

The second he sees her, his face lights up, “Hey, Hen! We still on for tomorrow?”

Hen nods, “Absolutely. Want me to grab some of those cupcakes Chris loves?”

Buck nods, “You know it. He’s been talking non stop about all the new flavors, and I wanna surprise him and get them all.”

Then he changes the subject, “Hey, I’m going to visit Chim and Maddie this weekend. Might be nice to grab some for them too.”

At that, Hen has to ask, “How are they, anyway?”

Buck replies, “Can’t believe it’s almost been a year since Maddie got pregnant and had the baby. I’ve been trying to get them a case worker like Carla, who specializes in Down’s Syndrome. Unfortunately their insurance isn’t gonna cover it. It just sucks that I can’t do anything about it. It’s pretty frustrating for the both of them too. I know it’s killing Chim he can’t do anything either.”

Hen sympathizes, “I’m so sorry.”

Buck waves it off, “It’s okay. I should get going. I’ll see you tomorrow, right?”

Hen smiles, “Absolutely. See you.”

That would be it, but then Buck bumps into someone in a lab coat, who immediately speaks up, “Oh hey, Buck.”

Buck quickly apologizes, “Oh, Dr. Regis. I’m so sorry.”

Dr. Regis waves it off, “Please, call me Ethan.”

Buck amends, “Ethan, I’m sorry. Can’t believe I almost knocked you down.”

Ethan smiles, “No worries. You can knock me over any time. It’s really good to see you.”