The Other Reconciliation

In the days following their reconciliation, Buck and Eddie fall back into a rhythm, only better, as they now both take walks with Chris, jogging on either side to keep up with him.

As promised, Buck feels Eddie’s words coming true, as he follows Eddie’s example on how to be a better husband, and better father.

Another thing that happens is that instead of filing the divorce papers, Buck and Eddie make a big show of burning them up in front of their closest friends, with Hen smacking them both upside the head and telling them, “Don’t ever do anything stupid like that again.”

When Abuela answers the phone, she breaks out in a smile as she hears Eddie tell her the good news.

In fact, Eddie’s so overjoyed, they make plans to take Chris and go visit her the very next day.

Hugs are shared all around, before Abuela asks Eddie to take a walk with her, so Buck and Chris stay behind to get Chris set up with a coloring table.

“I’d say we’ve gotten to know this path pretty well.” Abuela tells him as they start their walk.

Eddie says happily, “You can call me to take a walk with you whenever you want.”

Abuela replies, “I think I will.”

Truthfully, Eddie has something on his mind, “Abuela, I never told you how thankful I am. El amor se atreve really changed my life."

Abuela shakes her head, “Your little boy changed both your lives.  El amor se atreve was just a tool to help you remember that.”

Eddie has to be honest here, “I actually gave it to one of the rookies on the 118.”

Which makes Abuela even happier, “That’s muy bien. It should be passed along.”

Here’s where Eddie has to tell her, “I will never be able to tell you how grateful I am that you never gave up on me, abuela. Or on Abuelo.”

Here, Abuela stops walking for a moment, and Eddie can tell she’s gearing up to say something.

“Edmundo, I want to be a good abuela to you. I’ve learned so much in my life as both a Mama and an abuela. But there’s something I have to confess. Something I never told you about  El amor se atreve.”

At that, Eddie suddenly looks nervous, but he just lets her keep talking.

“I wrote the steps for El amor se atreve in a journal because I thought you’d be more open to the idea if you thought it was coming from me. But I didn’t do  El amor se atreve on your abuelo.”

Eddie’s not sure what to think, but then that’s promptly forgotten with what he hears next.

“Your Mama did it to your Papa.”

Whatever Eddie was expecting her to say, that never even made the list. “What?”

Abuela explains, “Nieto, your Papa was the one that wanted to leave. But your Mama’s love for you grabbed her tight, and she fought so hard, and loved you and your Papa unconditionally. It’s through their example that I became the abuela I am today.”

Eddie’s head is still spinning from this new revelation, “My parents did all this?”

Abuela tells him, “Your Mama and Papa are such blessings to me for giving me you. They’ve grown so much in their own ways. I will always love them.”

Somehow Eddie manages to say, “Abuela, I...I literally cut them out of my life.”

Here’s where Abuela gets serious, “Edmundo, I know you’ve neer been able to see eye to eye on what Christopher needs, and you probably never will. But they’re deserving of your respect. You know I never say it unless I mean it.”

That’s all Eddie needs to take off back to the house, leaving Abuela smiling with a knowing look.

The second he walks through the front door, he spots Buck and Chris coloring together, and when they see the distraught look in Eddie’s eyes, they almost speak up, but Eddie’s not looking at them, instead going straight for the phone, and dialing a number.

When whoever’s on the other line, Eddie breaks down as he says, “Mama, lo ciento. Yo no sabía, Mama. Yo no sabía.”

Knowing Eddie only breaks out in full Spanish when he’s really upset, Buck whispers to Chris, “Hey, Superman, what do we say we go hug your dad.”

Chris smiles, “Okay.”, and wiggles to move out of the chair.

In seconds, Buck’s got one arm wrapped around Eddie as Eddie holds the phone, still crying, and the other holding Chris up so Chris can hug Eddie as well.

“Por favor perdoname." Eddie whispers through his tears, leaning on his husband for support.

“Te amo, Mama.” Eddie keeps repeating that same phrase over and over, all of them staying in that position for so long, Abuela walks back in and catches them.

But she doesn’t say a word, happy to see her nieto truly happy.