The Disengagement

A day or two later, Buck’s showing up at Carla’s agency walking right up to Maggie, who greets him with a smile.

“Hello, Buck, how are you?”

Buck replies, “I’m doing pretty okay. I’m actually here to take a look at the files for some of the home care providers I’ve been looking at for my nephew?”

Maggie tells him enthusiastically, “Oh I know your sister and her fiance have to be excited. When a parent of a kid with Down’s Syndrome finally gets someone who can help give their kid what they need, it really makes a difference.”

That doesn’t sound right, “I’m sorry, am I missing something?”

Maggie tells him, “I’m talking about the home care provider that was just assigned to your nephew.”

Buck still doesn’t understand, “To my nephew?”

Maggie nods, “Yeah, she’s probably over there with them right now. She’s one of our best.”

Buck shakes his head, “But I can’t afford that kind of home health care.”

Which is when Buck gets another surprise, “Actually, all the expenses have been taken care of. We got a call from a gentleman saying he wanted to pay for the home care provider you had your eye on. He made sure he covered everything, to where your sister and his fiance won’t have to worry about their child’s home care for a good decade.”

But Buck’s not listening, already walking away. He has to go see this for himself.

When he gets to Maddie and Chimney’s apartment, the first thing he sees is the thing he’s been wishing for more than anything.

Elisa, the home care provider that Buck just knew would be perfect for what his nephew’s needs, is holding his nephew in her arms as she talks to both Maddie and Chim.

The whole thing makes Buck want to cry, and he quickly rushes towards Maddie, who grabs him in a  tight hug.

“Isn’t this amazing?”

“It’s incredible.” Buck replies, unable to keep the emotion out of his voice.

Then, Buck moves towards Johnny, still in Elisa’s arms as he reaches out to take him, then hugging both Maddie and Chimney as they all cry their tears of happiness.

There’s only one person Buck knows who would be this generous, and he’s going to give him the biggest thank you he can possibly give.

Ethan’s going over a chart at the nurse’s station when Buck walks up to him, with the biggest smile on his face as he asks,

“Has anyone ever told you what a wonderful person you are?”

Flattered, Ethan smiles, “Maybe, but not lately.”

Buck can’t stop gushing, “Ethan, you really didn’t have to do that.”

Here, Ethan looks a little confused, “Do what?”

Buck tells him, “You gave money to get my sister and Chim a home care provider for their son. That was so generous of you. Thank you, so so much.”

Ethan smiles in understanding, “You’re welcome. Least I could do.”

At that, Buck reaches out a hand, placing it on Ethan’s, “Got any plans for lunch?”

Ethan jokes, “Now I do.”

Honestly? Buck can’t think of anything he’d want to do more.

At home, Eddie’s cleaning up the house, picking up random garbage, when he reaches the guest room.

As he tosses an empty water bottle into the trash bag, he sees a card on the dresser.

He knows it’s none of his business, that he should just put it back down and walk away.

But after everything, he just has to know.

He sits on the bed, slipping the card open, heart sinking as he reads,

Dear Evan,

Getting to know you has been one of the highlights of my work day. I think about you all the time, and I look forward to every time you come by.

Ethan

And that, he just can’t ignore. He’ll worry about the repercussions later, but right now, he has to get to the bottom of this.

He dials up the number of Hen’s hospital, and when someone picks up, he says,

“Hi, I’m just curious if an Ethan works there.” A beat, then, “No, I only have a first name.”

When he gets to the hospital after his shift. He stops a doctor in the hallway, and point him towards the doctor’s office.

Ethan’s just looking over a patient’s charts when he hears, “Dr. Regis.”

Ethan looks up, and finds Edmundo Diaz standing in his doorway, “Yes?”

Eddie introduces himself, “Edmundo Diaz. I need to talk to you about something.”

Ethan tries to blow him off, “Now’s really not the best time. I’m about to start rounds.”

Eddie doesn’t want to hear it, “Trust me, you’re going to want to make time for this. This is about Buck. My husband.”

Seeing Eddie’s serious, Ethan sighs, “Okay. How can I help you?”

Eddie wastes no time, “I know exactly what you’re doing. And no way in hell am I going to just step back and let you take Buck away from me or our son.”

Ethan rolls his eyes, but Eddie’s not done, “I am not a perfect person. I’ve made a lifetime of mistakes, but I’ve never stopped loving Buck throughout them for even a second. So let me just tell you that I’m tossing my own hat into the ring. And since we’re married, and have a kid we’d both gladly walk through fire for, I’d say I have a hell of a head start.”

Then, for emphasis, Eddie holds up his hand, “Thanks again for helping me fix my hand. Ring stays on and everything. And just so you know, the last time I messed it up? It was for street fighting. And that's when I lost.”

With that, Eddie walks out with his head held high, right past Marge, who’s staring open mouthed for several seconds before she rushes down to the nurse's station to tell Hen.

What neither of them see is Ethan stare at one of his cabinets for several seconds, before pulling it open, and taking something out of it.

Then, before he can change his mind, he slides his wedding ring back on.