The Plan

Across the city, several hours later, Eddie's just getting home, his abuela already there, playing with Christopher. “How long has this been going on, Edmundo?”

Eddie shakes his head, “I don’t know, abuela. We’ve fought on and off again before, but now it feels like he’s pissed off all the time.”

Abuela asks patiently, “Have you given him any reason to be? I’ve never known Buck to be an unreasonable man.”

Eddie explains, “Me and him saved a family of three today. But if I’m not at home to do the dishes or look after Chris, I’m a horrible person.”

Abuela tries to tell him, “But, Edmundo, he needs to lean on you too. Isn’t he helping his sister with the baby every week? You can’t expect him to do everything.”

Eddie snaps, “So now you’re taking his side?”

Abuela doesn’t take the bait, just says, “If he’s working and trying--”

Edie cuts her off, “Abuela, the last thing I need is you lecturing me on what I’m going wrong. I get enough of that from Buck already. I’m not the one at fault here, he is.”

Abuela begs, “Edmundo, I’m trying to understand, I am. All I want is to help you and Buck. Why don’t we go for a walk, nieto?”

Once they’re walking outside with Chris several steps ahead of them, Eddie tells her, “I just...I really wish I could talk to my parents about this. But I just can’t take that step, not yet.”

Abuela says, “There’s a book I want you to read.”, and goes to pull it out of her purse.

Thinking he knows what it is, Eddie goes to turn it down, “Abuela, no, I don’t need the Bible to tell me what to do. I fully respect what it’s done for you, but I think this time its help is beyond me.”

Abuela tells him, “I used to be in the same place as you, Edmundo. I thought my marriage to your Abuelo wasn’t worth fighting for. But I was wrong.”

“Abuela, por favor. We talked about this. I’m glad you’re in a much happier place than you used to be, but...it’s not for me.”

“Edmundo, is there any part of you that wants to save your marriage?”

Eddie admits, “A small part. If Buck was willing. But he doesn’t. He wants a divorce.”

Abuela asks him, “Nieto, is that what you want?”

Eddie feels comfortable enough admitting, “I just want the fighting to stop. But what does that matter? The second he signs those papers, it’s over.”

“Did you already agree to draw up the papers?‘

Eddie shakes his head, “No, but I think we both know there’s only one way this ends, Abuela. I’m meeting with my lawyer tomorrow.”

Then Abuela gets bolder, determined, “Edmundo, I want you to do something for me. Don’t start the process for another 40 days.”

This confuses Eddie, “What? Por que?”

Then Abuela does pull something out of her purse, “I’m going to give you something. Something that takes exactly that long.”

At that, Eddie’s skeptical, “What exactly is it?”

“It’s what saved my marriage all the way up till Abuelo passed away. Look at it as a gift. Un día a la vez. Por favor, Edmundo. For me.”

Eddie takes the book, still skeptical, “Just 40 days?”

Abuela nods, “40 days.”

Buck’s eating lunch in the hospital cafeteria, not wanting to deal with seeing Eddie at the firehouse, when he hears,

“Eating by yourself?”

Buck smiles, “Oh, hey, Dr. Regis.”

“Ethan.”

Buck blushes, “Right, Ethan. Sorry. How’re you doing?”

Ethan confesses, “I’m doing okay. Just need somewhere I can eat in peace.”

Buck offers, gesturing to in front of him, “Well, Hen was supposed to join me, but you’re more than welcome to join me while I wait.”

Ethan plays dumb, “Well, I don’t want to put you out.”

Buck jokes, “You planning on eating in that white coat?”

Ethan sits down, joking as he takes his coat off, “Anything to keep up with the trends. All the doctors are wearing them. Probably not the best idea while I’m eating.”

Buck laughs, “Who knew doctors cared about fashion?”

Ethan tries to cover for himself, “We keep up with the good fashion...the stuff firefighters like, anyway.”

Buck nods. “Gotcha. Since only one such firefighter is in the immediate vicinity...I’m sure the guy is flattered.”

Ethan says openly, “I happen to think he’s incredible.”

Buck flashes a genuine smile, which makes him feel happier then he’s been in a long time, especially lately.