Chapter 6 - Christian

Chapter Six

Christian

I pulled out my iPhone and checked the time. The conversation with my Professor had taken a little longer than I had expected. If I drove really fast I figured I might still manage to get the girls to school on time.

Hurriedly, I walked out of the administration building and headed toward my truck. If I walked really fast, there would be less of a chance of someone trying to talk to me-

"Christian!"

Spoke too soon.

Turning around to face my cousin, Nate's older brother, I sighed. "What do you what Kale?"

"Is that any way to speak to your elders?" He folded his large arms together and scowled.

Most people's initial reaction to Kale's "scowl" would be to run away crying, but he was my older cousin, and I was probably one of the very few people who weren't terrified of him. He was a large man, and I don't mean chubby-wise. He was about an inch taller than me, but largely robust. I had heard many people throughout my life refer to him as a younger Vin Diesel look alike.

I rolled my eyes. "You are two years older than me. I would hardly consider you my elder."

Three of Kale's cronies stood a few feet away from us. I called them his cronies because they followed him around almost everywhere he went, and listened to his every command like he was some kind of god. I found them rather pathetic, but they were definitely not the only guys to ever look up to Kale that way.

"True enough." Kale nodded casually. "I'm heading to the city tonight. Feel like coming along and being my wingman?"

"You didn't get enough tail this past weekend?" I raised my eyebrow in disbelief.

"They were less than satisfying." He waved his hand toward his cronies. "Remind me next time not to bring those goons with me. I think they scared all the fun girls away."

I padded him on the back with amusement. "No big guy, I think you scared them all away."

He broke into a deep, hearty laugh that was cut off almost as quickly as it began. His body tensed, and his dark green eyes glowered at something behind me. He looked about ready to kill, which was not a good thing. When Kale got angry, he made the hulk look like a cute little puppy dog. "Is that little Kare-Bear?" His questioned through clenched jaws.

I turned around and immediately saw what had made Kale so upset. Karla was standing down by my truck talking to some guy. I felt my body stiffen. I didn't know who the guy was but I did recognize him from the University, and I also didn't like the way he was looking at my little sister. My cousins and I were all very overprotective when it came to Karla. It wasn't that we wanted to be like this, or that we wanted to embarrass her, but it was almost an instinctive need to protect her, especially from guys like ourselves.

"Who the hell is she talking to?" I heard Kale grind out.

My eyes then trailed past Karla and settled on Charlie. She was laughing at something this tall, lanky dweeb was saying. A different kind of emotion spread through me, one I couldn't quite decipher. All I knew was that my urge to get Karla and Charlie away from those guys grew even stronger.

Before I even knew what I was doing, I was trampling down there with some kind of vengeance. Kale was following beside me, and I swear I could almost feel the anger radiating off of him. His cronies were also trailing not too far behind us.